Dead Bees

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Dec 20, 2011.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Yesterday we had a warm day in Illinois and the bees were out so I decided to check on them. I noticed ALOT of dead ones outside the door and was concerned because I had fermented honey in the fall. I opened the hive and they seemed to be ok. Lots of bees and the hive is still very heavy. Is it normal to have a lot of dead bees this time of year? It has been too cold for them to be out so I know they were behind on their housekeeping. This was a very strong hive in the fall but I had a lot of honey get ruined by SHBs and I am afraid the bees will be killed by what I left in the hive. My thinking is that if the honey was bad, they would all be dead. Can someone ease my worried mind? :beg:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Relax your worried mind. A hive will lose a hundred or so bees almost daily during the winter. That's normal attrition.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It does seem alarming when you first see the dead bees. Especially in spring when the bees haven't been tossing them out due to the cold weather, and the bottom board is thickly covered. The dead can easily block a lower entrance, so be sure you have an alternate means of escape for them.

4. letitbee

letitbee New Member

THANKS GUYS!!! I feel better now! :Dancing:

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Your probably Ok, but how much honey stores was fermented ? Fermented honey can cause the bees to have dysentery. Jack

6. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Most of the fermented honey was in the 2 supers I harvested. I checked the two deeps and the honey seemed okay. What happened was that the queen had brood in the supers and after the brood emerged, they back-filled the empty comb with new honey and the SHBs did the nasty on the drying honey. I have no way of knowing if any of the honey in the 2 deeps was somehow contaminated by the nasty little SOBs..ahem...I meant SHBs. After my inspection yesterday, I have a feeling they will be ok as they have made it this far.