Dead Bumble Bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by jim314, Aug 23, 2011.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

I thought I had read that bumble bees kill honey bees. A couple of weeks ago I saw a bumble bee trying to get into one of my hives. The honey bees kept repelling it. I went into the house and ate supper, went back out and there was a dead bumble bee on the ground in front of one of the hives. Tonight, I was sitting out by the hives hoping to see an orientation flight (I like to attend graduations as long as it's bees). I saw one honey bee hovering low and frequently landing on the ground in front of the hive. I thought it was another dying bee. I looked through the binoculars and she was landing on dead bees, picking them up and carrying them off away from the hive. One she landed on was a bumble bee, way to big for her to carry but she did manage to move it a little. When I looked around some more with the binoculars, there were 4 other dead bumble bees. I guess the girls can hold there own when it comes to bumble bees. :thumbsup:
    Jim

2. frankh

frankh New Member

I was sitting, watching one of my hives the other day. Three guard bees dragged a bumble bee out and tossed its bumble-butt off the landing pad. They then marched back in. It was quite comical to see. It seems they strictly enforce the 'members only' clubhouse rule.