Dead Neighbors ! Did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Yote Shooter, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

I only have 2 hives.
    Saw so much activity outside of one. Have been noticing much more activity at one, and not much at the other. Today, I saw that many were leaving the slow hive and going directly to the other.

So open I did. Plenty of capped honey that was being robbed from the top enterance. So I went a bit deeper. Two mediums of mostly filled capped honey. Then found the cluster in the top of the upper deep. Dead.....

So I took the two mediums and put them on top of the neighbors. There are very active and have been returning with much pollen. Very full of bees.

Now that hive is a Deep, with 4 mediums above.
    When I went to lift it, very light. But had some capped and some open cells of honey and some apparent fresh nectar.

I slip the top over to cover the top enterance of the dead hive and closed up the enterance. The bottom is screened. Do I need to seal this with a solid board?
    Thanks for any feedback
    Tim

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

If I have a dead-out I usually seal it so bees can't get in, but I also still want it to ventilate so things don't go moldy fast. Your screen bottom board should help in that regard.
    Any idea what did in the hive?

3. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

No clue at all. Very small amount of dead bees. They had capping debris on them that had fallen from above. Some fully head into cells. Only center four frames with bees. Just enough to cover about 5 inch circle in between the frames.

Was it too much space to add 2 mediums above the other? I am hoping that since it is not hollow space, they will be ok!

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sounds like it was just too small to make it.
    I don't know much about your weather there, but if the good hive is strong the extra couple of supers shouldn't hurt. ("very full of bees")

5. Yote Shooter

Yote Shooter New Member

Yes very full of bees. Had warm weather recently. 60's but going to get down to the upper 20's over the weekend with highs in the 40's.

They have been bringing in alot of pollen. I opened up the enterance reducer to the mid-size opening. It had been just the 1 inch opening until today. But they were so conjested at that, so I switched it to the medium.They just don't seem to use the upper enterance.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    They had capping debris on them that had fallen from above.

tecumseh...
    sounds a bit like robbing although at the end of the day and guessing WILDLY it does simply sound like too small a cluster in too large a box.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I had troubles with hornets pestering my hives last fall, though not robbing by each other. I greatly reduced entrance and things quieted down. In hot climates you have temperature concerns but the bigger the entrance the harder to defend.