Dead out and mold

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by afterburn001, Mar 3, 2013.

1. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

We lost two hives over the winter and perhaps a third (too cold to tell on the third). Both hives still had plenty of honey I think their masses got too low.

anyway, being from Washington State (The Great North Wet), the frames of honey left from the dead hives have a moderate amount of mold on them. I have heard that we can simply feed it back to the other bees and they will clean it up. I wanted to double check here to see if everyone agrees that doing that would be fine. What I would really like to do is make up one or two new hives by simply installing new packages of bees in there. This way we could put a super on in April or may.

I also froze all the dead out frames for 48 hours.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Bees will clean it up but try and prevent it from getting any worse if possible. A quick rinse with a garden hose a day before you install your bees would be fine. I assume (Iddee reminded me on another thread :wink:) that you don't have SHB in your area.

3. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Thanks Perry! I never considered hosing it down. No SHB here.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

It is the moisture that is in the bees body which is released when the bees die. the pollen bees and uncapped honey are acceptable to grow mold. Remove as many dead bees as possible and store in a dry location until needed so the mold doesn't get worse.

5. camero7

camero7 Member

I mist all combs with 20:1 solution of bleach. Gets rid of the mold and sterilizes the combs. May help if you have any nosema.