dead out cut out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Mar 7, 2010.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well it was my fault, I guess I just loved my bees too much, I loved them to death. The bee tree I got last summer that was 80 foot in the air died out. I decided to cut the log open to see what happened to them.[attachment=4:cps3tdw3]beetree-lori 001.jpg[/attachment:cps3tdw3]
    this was looking straight down into the top of the log, I had put a board with a hole cut in it for a quart jar feeder on top. Stupid me left it on too long in the cold and syrup was pushed out of the jar by the temperature changes and made a big mess inside. See the mold on the comb.

[attachment=3:cps3tdw3]beetree-lori 002.jpg[/attachment:cps3tdw3]
    Log cut open

[attachment=2:cps3tdw3]beetree-lori 003.jpg[/attachment:cps3tdw3]
    Some of the combs
    [attachment=1:cps3tdw3]beetree-lori 004.jpg[/attachment:cps3tdw3]

[attachment=0:cps3tdw3]beetree-lori 005.jpg[/attachment:cps3tdw3]

I sure did hate to loose this one, I really had some time time tied up in it.

OH WELL!! Welcome to beekeeping.

I think I will wire the log back together and use it for a swarm trap, can place it about anywhere and will not be noticed too easily.

G3

Attached Files:

2. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

awwww :( that's too bad G3..... sorry they died out on ya. Hopefully you'll catch a great swarm in there this year!

3. Charles

Charles New Member

Ouch, I remember when you were posting about that...sorry for the loss :-( Your right though, that would be one hard to spot trap!

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Good idea with the trap.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I got a smaller version of your log in my driveway. different cause same results.

at least the lady who use to be the owner of the bee tree is happy to have them gone.

G3 writes:
    Stupid me left it on too long in the cold and syrup was pushed out of the jar by the temperature changes and made a big mess inside

tecumseh:
    I use boardman 'kind of' feeder incorporated into migratory covers in what sounds like the same way. I like this method of feeding for a number of reasons but have found you do need to protect the contents from thermal heat expansion created by the sun. I simply cover the jar either with an empty paint can or one gallon plastic planting pot.