Dead-Out or Something??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brooksbeefarm, Mar 3, 2011.

1. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

My 85 yr. old beekeeper buddy and i went to check the 26 hives i have in three different northern counties today. I had to put dry sugar on one hive,another hive was a little short on bees, had good stores and had a frame of brood with good laying pattern.One yard with ten hives had one dead-out or something? there was one and a half med. supers of capped honey,(not robed out yet, but were starting) about 10 to 15 dead bees on the screen bottomboard? Three weeks ago it was a strong hive, working on one of the few warm days we had (today was 65 deg. :thumbsup: I can live with a one out of 26 loss, but can't come up with an answer of what happen. CCD maybe :confused: have any of you had this kind of thing?? Jack

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I haven't had it happen but have heard it from a number of beeks. My only guess is Nosema Carranae, or however you spell it. They say it kills fast and doesn't leave the tell-tale mess that Nosema Apis leaves. They also say the other bees are reluctant to rob them out.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

That may be it Iddee, we had three days of good weather before today and these hives are four ft. apart. That is what we didn't understand.(why it wasn't robbed out?) They were starting to rob it out by going in the top entrance. Not the usual sign of nosema. Jack

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what my bro Iddee said.