Dead Queen ?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Sciras, May 15, 2018.

1. Sciras

Sciras New Member

I have 3 hives in Mass, 2 weeks ago they were installed (package). A few days after installing we checked and all 3 queens were successfully released from their cages and were visible during inspection. 6 days later (May 14) during an inspection of their food and general activity, I noticed one hive was less active and found what looks to be a queen cell.
    The questions: Is this a new queen cell? How long should it take to know for sure ? Should we order a new queen from our supplier?

2. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

what looks to be a queen cell.
    The questions: Is this a new queen cell? How long should it take to know for sure ? Should we order a new queen from our supplier?[/QUOTE]

It either is or isn't a queen cell. If it isn't , and it looks like the beginning of a "peanut" shaped cell, it could be an empty one they make "just because". Those are commonly called "cups" and while they are worth noting, they aren't significant until they have eggs or larvae in them.

I would be inclined to let them make a queen of their own.... IF........IF they have eggs and larvae to work with. If the new queen is working she will have laid eggs in some cells other than the possible queen cell and if the colony wants a new one they can make one. If no eggs, larvae or capped brood then you may need to add a frame of brood to boost them up even if you can quickly get a new queen. If you cannot source a new queen soon, you may want to combine them with another queenright colony......after removing the dud queen. If you find her and she looks alright you might try her in a nuc with a few attendants and a couple frames of foundation before giving up on her entirely

Gypsi likes this.