Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3 weeks into a trapout at my work. inside a heavy steel tube welded on a machine. went and checked this morning and the funnel had come loose. smelled like something had died in there. guard bees at the opening but none flying. Bait hive was very active. didn't check inside it. had capped queen cells last week. what ya think the smell from the mother hive may be?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
Could be SHB damage. Could be someone sprayed it with raid when you weren't looking. That may be how the cone came loose. Were any bees going in?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
there is no one around to mess with them. inside a fenced in area. didn't smell no insecticide. none were coming and going. just some guard bees at the opening

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
im wondering if there was enough bees came out of the cone and into the bait hive. That there wasnt enough to cover and take care of brood durring a cold spell and what he is smelling is dead brood coming from the old hive

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am getting ready to do a trapout in a house that is forsale. Should the owner be made aware the possibility of the house smelling like something died during or after this trapout? RB

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I have never had it happen. I'm still waiting to see if we find the cause at kbenx's trap. Maybe they stung a mouse to death or something. I don't know.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
bees have found the way back into the funnel. very few coming and going though. (bait hive is very busy) I have noticed some bees leaving the mother hive and going straight to the bait hive. have seen no pollen carried into the mother hive either???

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
It has been 4 weeks? I would watch it one more week before deciding anything. Is the new queen laying in the catch box?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts