Deadly Bee Attack in Tennessee from a Swarm?

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Bens-Bees, Jul 24, 2010.

1. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

A swarm of bees killed two dogs, but left the owner unscathed even though she was standing just a few feet away without any protection...

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=128002&odyssey=mod_mostread

Somethings not right here... they were definately honey bees though and not yellow jackets... but for a swarm to happen at this time of year at all is odd, and for a swarm to attack anything is odd behavior for the bees... and this is the second time this year that a swarm has attacked... there was also the one at the fair. Something's going on with the bees or that is affecting how the bees behave I think.

2. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Yes, strange.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

not honeybees--were yellowjackets---this is the follow-up
    ALAMEDA COUNTY FAIRJuly 04, 2010|By Erin Allday and Will Kane, Chronicle Staff Writers

About 100 people were stung by yellow jackets at the Alameda County Fair on Friday night when the popular fireworks display apparently disturbed a nest and sent a swarm into the grandstands, according to the county Fire Department.

No one suffered a serious allergic reaction to the stings, said Alameda County Fire Department spokeswoman Aisha Knowles. Several people were stung multiple times, and victims ranged in age from a 6-month-old baby to an adult older than 60.

The wasp attacks began shortly after the fireworks show started at 9:15 p.m. About 5,000 people were in the grandstands, and 15 minutes later sting victims started showing up in the first aid area, Knowles said.

4. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

The article in the op is talking about a totally different incident Barry, they were indeed honeybees according to it and were taken away by beekeepers.

That is very strange and more than a little disturbing. I can't imagine seeing such a thing happen.

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I'm at least glad the fair one wasn't honeybees then.

Yeah the ones in TN yesterday were definately honey bees, and Mike Struder took samples to send to a lab but said that they did not appear to even be africanized by outward appearances, and the beekeeper that collected the swarm said that they have been acting totally normal since then.

I can see how the dog that was tied updirectly under the tree could have maybe knocked the swarm down on top of it... but the other dog wasn't really even close to the first one, and even if the swarm dropped onto the first dog, I could see a few stings, but not hundreds. I knocked one down on top of me earlier this year and didn't take a single sting. Of course I had my gloves and veil on, but still.

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

Well Mike Struder gave a talk at the last beeks assn. meeting.. and afterward questions turned to this swarm... he said he didn't think they were africanized from his examination but the sample he sent to the lab hasn't come back yet. He also said he has no idea what could have provoked the swarm to attack the dogs.