Deadout in Middleburg unfortunely

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Sep 5, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

As I suspected the hive either died out or absconded, either way only occupants were rather nasty fire ants. This colony had several cycles of brood intruption, statring in early spring being run over with a truck, the queen superceeding atleast once, colony strength was NEVER close to what it should have been. Anyone reading any of my posts on hive management seen several time where I said with bees it's math not magic thet determines the sucess of a colony. If started early enough we all know that a colony will suceed if given half a chance, when there is several major brood cycle intruptions then the odds os colony survival do go way down--and thats the way this went.
    Barry

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:sad: Bummer :sad: Very little one could do considering the obstacles placed in your bees way and yours as well. :|

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Thanks Perry, knowing that doesn't change the fact that I feel like I let the girls down--in actuality--they were practicing poor survival traits superceeding too many times, odd thing the one superceedure cell the capping was cleanly chewed open but then there was a oval hole chewed in the side about half way down, typical of a queen destroying her rivals---after seeing the old queen ( blue dot ) in the hive, I presumed she took care of buisness. but again she never raised enough workers to populate the hive enough to be sucessful.
    Barry

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well I finally got to inspect all the hives , 3 of the remaining hives have almost no blue doll and nothing in the way of honey reserves or pollen. I am guessing the Queen shut down due to lack of nectar and actually strived to have less population to feed both in adults and brood. I am more than a little confused as it seems there is a lot blooming at least at the moment, and those hives that have bees are actively working something , well I know what I will be doing this fall and winter namely feeding the bees

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Bummer to hear about the hive, I hope this next spring is a little more kind to you, and by the way whats Blue doll?

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

lol that's a speech to text translation I didn't catch should have read " no brood at all" see what happens when you don't proof read.
    Barry

7. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

LOL! Glad you asked about "blue doll"- thought or was another beek term I never heard of.