Dean and Annalisa's infestation 5-14-11

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, May 14, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Got a call from Dean that there were hundreds of bees checking out his house and many were making there way inside also. I informed them that they were probably scout bees looking for a new home and not a swarm, yet, if the scouts decided to pick his home for their new home they would see a black tornado of swirling bees. Ended up taking me 2 1/2 hours to get over there and when I pulled up they were very excited and said the swarm had landed and had in fact seen the black cloud of bees. These are some very nice folks that are transplants from Long Island, NY and are not use to all of the new critters in the rural area subdivision they are living in.

[attachment=2:2e7duu3l]004.JPG[/attachment:2e7duu3l]
    They were getting in between the floor where the a/c lines went into the house, if only the builder would have splurged for a tube of caulk.

After looking hard and cutting out a piece of sheet rock......still no bees. I next cut out a small piece of 2 x 4 to shine a flashlight in the floor joist......still no bees. Figured out they were on the other side of the joist we were looking at, there was not much room between the top of the block wall and the first joist. Used a mirror and flashlight again............no bees. I drilled a 2 1/2" hole in another board but still no bees, but could hear them much better. Got the bright idea of stuffing the camera (lens only) in the hole to see if a pic could capture them......yep found them, six feet away.
    [attachment=0:2e7duu3l]003.JPG[/attachment:2e7duu3l]

They did not want to cut the sheet rock to vac them out but opted for a trap out. This will be a fun one trying to get all of the cracks in the rock wall sealed up so the cone will work.
    [attachment=1:2e7duu3l]005.JPG[/attachment:2e7duu3l]

Any suggestions besides silicon caulk, do not want to mess up their rock wall. Was thinking of using some foam (not spray foam but like sponge rubber) to put between the rock and the trap cone.

Attached Files:

• 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      518.5 KB
      Views:
  2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Fantastic pictures. :coolphotos:
    I don't know, I think if I was them I would opt for a quick cut out before they got too established in there. I realize cutting drywall is never great but it really isn't that big a repair, and then it's over and done with. If anyone can get them out though, I figure you can. Keep us posted!

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

With a new swarm, I think I would have tried bee quick.

Can you run beads of silicone on a piece of glass and let it dry? Then peel it off like little ropes to go between the stones.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Now that is an idea for sure!! Think I will get right on it so they can start to cure.

Iddee you are just full of it, good ideas that is :thumbsup:

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Probably right with the first line.....

6. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

That's another great Iddeea.

7. crackerbee

crackerbee New Member

Oh darn!!! I left a day too early ,and missed all the fun(and experience),I'll be following this one to see the master at work.I know you'll brainstorm a plan G3,I've seen you in action :thumbsup: .Don't forget the camera and the video cam.

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Finally got warm enough to pull a frame of eggs out of a hive and got the trap out set up. It was dark when I finished but did manage to get it done. The bees had quit flying for the day so I could not see them exiting the cone. I put some thick foam behind the plywood, stuck thin sticks in all of the cracks I could see and then went over the edges with silicon. It was not too bad to fit the cone around the a/c line, took a little trimming and some silicon and was good to go. Tomorrow will tell the tale if I did a good job or not.

[attachment=1:27cvrl4s]002.JPG[/attachment:27cvrl4s]

[attachment=0:27cvrl4s]004 (2).JPG[/attachment:27cvrl4s]

Attached Files:

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Went to check the trap this afternoon after work, it was cloudy for most of the day and the sun finally came out. The bees were very active as you can tell.

[attachment=1:37ra8dpw]007.JPG[/attachment:37ra8dpw]

[attachment=0:37ra8dpw]012.JPG[/attachment:37ra8dpw]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h327kOLAGQU

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      1.5 MB
      Views:
    • 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      857.7 KB
      Views:
  10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

G3, don't you ever read anything on the internet. They tell you over and over, TRAPOUTS DON'T WORK. Sometimes I think you are as stubborn as I am. :D :D

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Iddee this one is working for sure. The frame of eggs I put in had very few bees on it and when I looked in on them the frame was covered and extra bees on the foundation also. I'll give them a few days to settle in and check again. Even the home owner was amazed at what was going on.

I could not get the hive entrance right next to the wall like you told me, so I built them a bridge to walk across and it was working.

Do you think they were passing nectar through the screen? It sure did look like it to me, thoughts??

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Do you think they were passing nectar through the screen?" :shock:
    Ya know, this is something that never occurred to me. Why couldn't they?
    I eagerly await Iddee's response, good question G3.

13. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Checked on them 5-23-11 things had really calmed down around the cone, found 3 queen cells started, bees were just a little pissy but not bad. Home owner wanted to know if it was all over and I just kind of giggled and shook my head. Ask him if he wanted to look through the hole I had drilled to see how many were left and he was all for it. Armed with a flashlight and mirror I could make out five combs the size of your hand and covered with bees. The home owner wanted to see also and now he is more of a believer of what I am telling him.

14. clifftopbees

clifftopbees New Member

Just a thought for your next stone house...Contact Perm-a-chink in Knoxville and get some of their caulk [for log cabins]. It comes in various colors so you can match the stone and the home owner will not mind you leaving caulk between the stones!

Who knows, they might even pay you extra to close up all those possibilities of re-infestation! :p

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello clifftopbees and welcome to the forum :wave: , what part of ET are you from??

Caulking never really touched the stone. I used some foam between the stone and the plywood then went over the edges of it with silicon caulk. The bigger, deeper cracks were filled using small wooden pieces and tapped them in like a peg.

The bees were getting in where the ac lines went into the house, I filled one of them up with clear silicone and put the trap cone on the other one. When I finish the job I will seal up the other hole and hopefully you will never know I was there, with the exception of a couple of holes where the tapcon screws were.

16. clifftopbees

clifftopbees New Member

From Blaine! Bought a nuc from you! :wave:

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Ya' better hope you gave him a good one, G3, or he's gonna tell on you now. :D

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Hello clifftop :wave: :wave: Hope your bees and Ann's are doing OK!

Iddee I hope they do tell on me, I think they got some good bees, 5 frame nucs that were boiling over with bees.

19. G3farms

G3farms New Member

trap out started on 5-19-11 and removed them on 7-5-11, this was 6 1/2 weeks.

here is a pic of the bees the day they moved in
    [attachment=1:1zcpxmes]003.JPG[/attachment:1zcpxmes]

this is what was left behind in the floor joist
    [attachment=0:1zcpxmes]067.JPG[/attachment:1zcpxmes]

there is a laying queen in the 5 frame nuc, but not many bees at all. The AC unit that was below them was continuously chewing them up. I am going to swap places with a very strong nuc tomorrow to boost there numbers.

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      518.5 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      518.5 KB
      Views:
    • 067.JPG
      067.JPG
      File size:
      605.7 KB
      Views:
  20. Omie

Omie New Member

Great story and photos!
    So did you get the actual queen from the swarm?