Decapping Jiggle Knife

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Marbees, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice video of someones extracting line up and honey house! :thumbsup:
    Interesting uncapper for sure.

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

That video is of Bill Stage he has his hives 35 miles north of me in Salmon Arm. He is the bee inspector for our area of the province. Very knowledgeable and help full guy. He is the gust speaker at the next bee meeting.
    [h=2]Jiggle Knife[/h]I have looked at them and have ran many supers thru jiggle knives. From memory they us an offset center in the bearing. The hole is offset about 1/4" giving the knife 1/2" of movement.the knife itself is serrated on both edges and the serration is 3/8" on center along the knife and around 1/4" deep the side of the blade that faces you is flat and the bevel and serration is ground on the back. There is a metal strap that goes around the bearing and attaches to the top of the knife. and i can not remember how the bottom of the knife is supported. I have a friend in Armstrong that has a couple of them One he uses and the other for spare parts in case he might need some some day. But they are still both complete. He has had guys wanting to buy it from him but doesn't want to sell. Insurance against breaking down in the middle of extracting. I can take some pictures and measurements the next time in at his place if you want.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

my kelley version of this is pretty much the same thing only it is horizontal and not vertical and the heat source is electrical and not steam.

works real good and is fairly simple as a mechanical device. doesn't really require much upkeep or time to set it up or adjust when harvesting season does arrive. it does greatly add to the flow of work thru my little honey house without costing an arm and a leg like some mechanical uncappers.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Are these still made anywhere?

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is too weird to be true.
    I spent a couple hours researching that very thing last night. I was chatting with Dave about it but the price had me a little concerned. No steam like the old ones which is nice. I am going tomorrow to pick up 2 boxes of foundation I got a real good deal on, and when I was talking to the fellow he said he has an old one that he would show me. He still uses it and it's not for sale though. :sad:
    For sure let me know what you think of it cause it looks like it may be the way I go as well. A lot cheaper than the sideliner uncapper too.
    This is the one you're talking about isn't it Marbees?

http://shop.honeybeeware.com/Kelleys-Electric-Vibrating-Knife-329N.htm

8. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yes, that's the one. I found that honey bee ware has it, but they are located in WI, shipping would be a deal killer.
    I'll check with Kelly's authorized dealer in NY state, and if possible go there to pick it up.
    We are already working in Niagara region, I'm less than 100 km from USA border at list twice a week.
    Whatever I found you'll be informed.
    PS If tec said it's real good, I'm sold.:smile:

9. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Ha! I thought that was ironic too Perry.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Send me a pm if you are going down Marbees. When you bring stuff like that across are there fees and taxes and stuff? If it is American made there should be no duty on it (about the only good thing about "free trade").
    I could probably go through you and save shipping/ border costs, and it shouldn't cost much to mail from Ontario.

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"I found that honey bee ware has it, but they are located in WI,"

marbees, wish i could help you and perry out, hortonville is about a 4 hr drive east of me, and then about another 12 hours to trent hills, (have friends in michigan).....

why don't you just come visit wisconnie and have perry pay for the gas......:lol:

oops, but then there's shipping from ontario to perry in nova scotia by sled dog...:lol:

12. Marbees

Marbees Member

That's expensive, summer rates for sled dog transportation..:lol:

Perry, as soon as I have all related info, I'll PM you.

13. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

What about a hand held, electric kitchen knife? They now sell them as electric fish filet knives. You could keep it in a hot water bath when not is use.

14. Crofter

Crofter New Member

The problem is that unless you make the blades fairly heavy there is not the mass to sustain the temperature for very long once it comes in contact with the wax and honey. It would be quenched quite quickly. That is what I find with the bread knife anyway.