Decapping with a heat gun? Ever tried it??

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by tmrschessie, Jul 13, 2012.

1. tmrschessie

tmrschessie New Member

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've heard and seen this done on video before. I guess I would prefer to harvest the beautiful cappings wax as it is some of the most prized wax out there. Makes great candles! :thumbsup:

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i have never tried this, from the title of the video:
    "How to remove the capping from your honey the easy way. No mess and no waste", if you don't care about harvesting the wax, then 'no waste'.

i'm with perry, "I guess I would prefer to harvest the beautiful cappings wax as it is some of the most prized wax out there". :thumbsup:

not to offend any one, i tend to think it may be an easy method, but wasteful. wax is a product of the hive, even if you don't plan on using it yourself, there are many folks who will buy it from you.:grin:

4. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I have raised asimilar thread some time ago. I have been discouraged using it due to caramelizing the honey and melting the wax into the extracted honey. The latter being less of a problem as it was discussed that wax would solidify and separate from the honey.

5. adamant

adamant Member

if its young white capings it will work.

6. Mosti

Mosti New Member

Have you used it then?

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Looks "Easy-Peazy". How hot is the heat gun? Would you run this risk of setting the wax on fire?

8. Crofter

Crofter New Member

I used the hot air gun to uncap 10 medium frames. The wax tends to melt away to the rim of each cell and beads up in droplets or lines. Some of it you chase down the length of the frame and it winds up on the end bar. If your frames are nice and fat and have been used a number of times the hot knife is quicker. If there is lots of low spots the air gun does a good job. I still gave mine a light scratching but you do not get nearly as much wax slush plugging your screens as you would entirely scratching the cappings. After extracting the cells are going to need more work by the bees to chew off the wax beads and droplets; you have to be carefull not to entirely melt away much of any cell that has not honey or nectar in it. The way it leaves a thickened rim on a lot of cells, I thought they did not empty out as well as a cut or scratch decapping, but admittedly the frames could have been a bit warmer when I spun them.

For certain there is no risk of setting any wax alight and there is more honey carmelized with a hot knife. I would say that is not an issue. If you have some hand strength issues I think this might be worth a try. It does work.

9. MT204

MT204 New Member

I did about 50 frames last week and it was so easy and clean it was almost fun. Use a hot air gun on high and move quickly. I did notice some of the cells would pop every now and then. Put the frames out for the bees to clean up and the empty's look great.