Decision, decisions

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barry42001, Mar 14, 2013.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Attempting to return to work restrictions of how long and how hard causesing issues.
    Post office talking about 4 hours a day.....can't survive on that. May have to retire.
    Barry

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Is there nothing to offset that loss of hours, no plan or anything? Short term or long term disability?
    It seems odd that if you cannot return to work in a full time capacity that there is no alternative provided to you.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Actually the postal service nationwide is looking to reduce the labor force by some 175, 000 employees. I know they are actively reducing the number or light duty personnel to under 15 percent or less with the knowledge that there no way of predicting when or if I will get strong enough to perform normal duties will be the sticking point
    Barry

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Sometimes when life hands you a lemon.......make lemonade.
    When we had made the decision to move to Nova Scotia from British Columbia, my wife was looking at having to quit her job. At the time they were looking to downsize as well but her seniority would have escaped the axe. BUT, they first did a round of voluntary buy-outs for those willing to leave based on years of service. 20K later my wife left a job she was getting ready to quit anyways! :rolling:
    See what your employer will offer for early retirement, you just never know! :wink:

5. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

That was my thought too. Sometimes, they offer incentives to retire early. I surely hope everything works out for you. Sometimes at first it doesn't seem like it is, but afterwards you realize it did work out for the best. Good thoughts and prayers still going your way! :D

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It will be alright in the end. If it isn't alright, it isn't the end.

Don't know who told me that, I didn't believe them at the time, but they were right.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Perry snip...
    At the time they were looking to downsize as well but her seniority would have escaped the axe.

tecumseh...
    I guess this might show you just how different the world we live in??? I have no doubt that barry is fairly fortunate in that he works for a federal agency and not some private or state firm here in the land of 'right to work' laws. if you are not acquainted with this term it actually means exactly the opposite of what it sounds like it should mean, which is basically you as a working person have NO rights. Here (in Texas and thru much of the southern US) if someone is working in a situation like barry for the state or some private business entity he would have been handed his pink slip as soon as he became sick and begun tapping the health care benefits that he 'though' he had been paying for thru some company plan. No amount of time or loyalty or exceptional job performance reviews will protect you here from an employer (or employers representative) who is simply having a bad day. Anyone who is a bit frail health wise or has any kind of serious disability should never think they will work for anyone here past the age of 50... excessive use of sick days (and you though you earned those... right?) or frequent use of medical benefit is almost a certain to encourage the arrival of a pink slip in short order. Your 'past' employer may even replace you with two very young works (neither of who can seem to show up to work at all much less on time) but the language of 'right to work' laws means you employer has not engaged in age discrimination. The collective morality here is cold and exceptionally cruel for the working person and the 'masser' is the king.... if we had a handy ice flow near by we would simply toss everyone like barry on one of those and let nature take care of the problem.

8. Gypsi

Tec is right - Texas is a right to work state - and it is just mean. I am a cancer survivor, self employed because I would hire me, and so would people who needed what I know, and the services I and my helpers do.

It is also a right to die state. For 5 years after melanoma I could not get health insurance at all, then it was only available with reduced benefits and huge cost.I pay cash for health care. When I can find it. The little clinic in the low income part of arlington is as capable as a doctor who charges 4 times as much.

Unless I remain phenomenally healthy I don't think I'll see 70. But that isn't at the top of my priority list either.

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

The right to work law was voted down here in Mo., but i heard on the news this mourning, some law makers are wanting to try it again.:shock: I hope it gets shot down before it comes to a vote. Jack

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Since the union got me fired for over producing in Illinois, I will quickly tell you where the union can go. Working on a job that pays per piece, you will not be allowed to produce any more pieces that the sorry bum on the other shift.

Let's be careful here, and keep it union or non-union, and not political parties.

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I worked at a factory in 1959 for $50.00 a week, then they went on peice work. We had a set quota to make per hour, lets say 100 peices an hour at $1.00 hour (just to make it easy), If i could do 120 peices an hr. i made $1.20 an hr. After a time doing the same thing over and over you got good at your job and they would send a man we called timers, and the would clock how fast you could do a peice and raise your quota (many times they would hide and time you). This was a job standing on concrete 8 to sometimes 14 hrs. per day in front of a machine (buffing and polishing) doing aluminiun parts.There was 15 per shift of us in this dept. (3 shifts), Some had a hard time making there quota, those that didn't make it got fired.Well we voted a union in (1200 employees) the threat of getting your quota raised and losing your job was relaxed, myself and 3 others could produce 40% to 50% above our quota but didn't because it would make it harder on the others that were hard workers that struggled to make there quota or 10% above and get their quota raised. After the union went in the 4 of us turned in 140 to 150% and helped some of the others without any retaliation.:thumbsup: The unions done away with the sweat shops and were the better fo it. Jack

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My experience was the opposite. I was told I could only turn in 120%, as that is what the other shift averaged. I was fired for constantly turning in 160%. The company liked me, but the union made them get rid of me.

PS. I have been a job timer in the factory and have never seen a piece rate price lowered because of over production. I heard many tales about it, but never knew it to really happen. The only time the price per piece changed was when the operation changed, or when a raise was given.

13. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Hey it is normal for some humans to exploit other humans for their own benefit. Also normal for the exploited to get together and find ways of avoiding the exploitation. We are only co operative within the group we identify with; other groups are ripe for plunder. There will always be a privileged elite and there will always be groups who find ways to diddle them.

J K Galbraith, the canadian economist and writer and also advisor to JF Kennedy had a good treatise on the mechanics of power and the continuous countervailing resistance to it. Power always overshoots and for one reason or another destroys it power base. Another force rises to take its place and eventually repeats. Power corrupts even those who wrest it from villains.

14. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well I have decided to retire post office has 2 types of retirement the first is voluntary retirement which I'm starting with and then medical retirement due to disability which is what I will Institute after voluntary retirement it's kinda nice having options not the option I would have wished for but options none the less.
    Barry

15. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Well, what can I say but............Congratulations! :thumbsup:
    Now you will have the time to pursue those things that are more important to you. Even better, find a way to make a few bucks doing those things, to supplement your income.
    It may not have happened the way you anticipated, but there may well be a silver lining here Barry (for sure more time for the bees).

16. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

My brother found himself in a similar situation Barry. Best of luck to you.

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Hey, that means you will have more time to spend up this way. I'll be looking for you.

18. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

first off thank y'all for your contributions on the subject I do appreciate it attempt to make me feel a little better about how it is going to go down not precisely what I had in mind on the good side I will have time to do some of my more favorite side hobbies I am a lover of fishing and beekeeping. money willl be a bit tight but then it will be for everybody. Thank You Iddee I may take you up on that.
    Barry

19. Gypsi

Good for you Barry.

20. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

good luck to you in your retirement Barry, get better, get healthy and hopefully know your comments are valued here.

a crofter snip..
    J K Galbraith

tecumseh...
    I see we enjoy something of the same authors.