Decisions, Decisions !!!

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by barry42001, Jun 7, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

My weakest hive in Middleburg, while re-queened, and she is laying in whatever she can,my girlfriend noticed a substantial number of ants going into the hive on her way home. The colonies are 30 miles away from my house and I make a bi-weekly trip to inspect them--we've had a lot of rain lately, thought it would keep the little beastie ants home while practicing the back-stroke knew there were a few large colonies of ants on the property didn't think during this weather they would launch a attack so soon. I will look at them today rain or shine, but don't think I will like what I will find.
    Barry

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

I have the same issue with one of my hives, here is what I have tried the natural way:

Cinnamon - Two shakers full. I think they snorted it and gave them super powers!
    Oatmeal - One box. Left them fat & happy wanting more cinnamon.

Luckily mine are on 24" enclosed stands so I ended up taking a panel off the back and fed them a couple of handfuls of Ortho Fire Ant Killer. That was a month ago and I have not had any issues with ants or my bee's. I hated to use Ortho but really had no choice and with it being enclosed did not think it would affect the bee's.

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Mine are on cinder blocks, on heavy black plastic, Screened bottom boards, so the ants have many ways into this particularly weak colony, am thinking about ortho or similar, don't want the bees to for whatever the reasons to get into it though.
    Barry

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My wife has a mixture for around the backyard here. One half Borax laundry powder and one half icing sugar. When I put it out I cover it up so bees can't get ate it (shingle or some such thing) but the ants can.
    Right now I went out to one of my new yards and slugs, :shock: must be a dozen or more on each landing porch. Don't know what I'll do about that yet.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

diatemacious earth, ( am certian is misspelled, lol ) commonly used in pools, is crushed sea shells, very sharp micro edges, as the slugs crawl through is, cuts up their " foot ", kills them, and can be used in garden for same purpose.
    Barry

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

it's gotten way too wet and stormy to check the bees today maybe tomorrow will bring better weather I hope I did just remember something that works on ants called boric acid don't know how effective it will be for carpenter ants which I believe used to be.
    Barry

7. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Slugs-set out saucers with beer in them. The slugs crawl in them and drown.

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I have seen where this can be used for shb, too.

9. bee stung

bee stung New Member

when I find a ant hill heres what we do ,,, mix a cup of Boric Acid with 1 to 2 cups sugar ,, take a shovel full dirt out of the hill ,, dump the mix in the hill put dirt back over the mix ,, now they eat and feed the queen's ,, and the hill dies ,, it does take about a month or so but by fall no ants , and the girls do not get any boric acid
    Queen ants have the longest life-span of any known insect – some but not all up to 28 years in captivity.

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

On my way out to Middleburg with 3 very well provisioned frames of sealed brood, hope I am not too late, wish me luck, in the event skill fails me lol.
    Barry

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

gave the colony the three frames of sealed brood, saw the installed queen, but apparently the hatched queen did lay eggs, just ere all drone eggs, in worker cells, believe the many thousands of soon to be hatching workers will turn this hive around in short order, and the current queen will have cells to lay in instead of all cells, what few there were, having drone brood in it.
    Barry