Deep above 3 full mediums

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by herblover, Aug 1, 2011.

1. herblover

herblover New Member

Is it a bad idea to put an empty deep(undrawn foundation) above 3 full mediums used as brood and put medium of honey on top of that deep? Not interested in honey harvest this year, just building up for winter in Northeast. Will they draw out foundation if they have need in this situation?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

They don't look at the size of box. They will draw when they need comb, but only then.Put only one box of foundation on at a time. When it is nearly full, put on another.

3. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Not to hi-jack but what is the result of adding too many boxes. Let's say I was going away for an extended period of time and I wanted to add 2 mediums with undrawn foundation on top of my 1 deep 2 medium brood chamber?

Thanks,
    Ed

4. rast

rast New Member

That would depend on what time of the year you were going away and what you call an extended period of time. If there is going to be a flow while you are gone, probably OK. If it's during a dearth, not OK. Too much room for SHB, ants and such (wax moths won't usually bother foundation but it gives them a place to hide and lay while the worms slip in below. The bees may also chew up your foundation around the wires, pins if you use them and around the edges. Foundation can also wave and melt in the heat and fall out of place.
    Of course winter time is a no no.

5. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

Ok, that makes sense. Folks were always telling me not to add too many boxes too soon. I wondered why because when the wild bees find a tree to live in the whole hive, honey storage area and all is already there!

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Trees don't supply foundation. If you want to put foundationless frames on bottom, go ahead. If you want to put two or three boxes of drawn comb on at once, go ahead, if you don't have SHB in the area. If you put two or three boxes of foundation on top all at once, it doesn't compare to a tree. It will cause you trouble.

7. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If there's a honey flow going on, you can try to put the super with frames for building directly above the brood nest, below the built supers. Since they prefer to have no spaces between the brood and the stocks, the bees will build this foundation faster than if it were placed on top. Top supering will usually get your frames built only after the frames in the middle are fairly filled up. But I repeat, only do this if you've got nectar coming in.