deeps, mediums and shallows

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by nofo77, Nov 23, 2010.

1. nofo77

nofo77 New Member

Hi there:
    I'm a beginner Spanish beekeeper interested in beekeeping techniques from any part of the world. I've read an American magazine article that's driving me crazy and I'd like to know if anyone can explain me what he says. The text says: "We have switched most of our equipment over to mediums, because this enables us to use the same size frame for both the brood box and the honey super". My question is: Is it possible to use the same size frame for a brood box that is 9-5/8" and a super that is 6-5/8" high? If I put super frames into a brood box what happens with the so called "bee space"? I think I'm getting into a mess with all these measures.

Please, anyone can help me?
    Thanks from Spain!

2. Hobie

Hobie New Member

It's a bit confusing at first. You have to discard your "old" ideas about hive bodies and honey supers. As you suspect, the frame size must match the size of the box, or you will end up with a mess of comb.

What the text means is that the beekeeper uses ONLY medium supers. No deep hive bodies. No shallow honey supers. The brood boxes and the honey boxes are all the same size: Medium. This allows you to interchange the equipment readily.

It is an interesting option to consider. If I didn't already have deep and shallow boxes, I would have considered all mediums.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

If you put shallows or medium frames in deep boxes, OR shallow frames in medium boxes.......... the bees will build comb on the bottom of the frames.

The idea of using all mediums is so that you can swap frames more easily and even consolidate frames in the winter to make the hive more compact.

Plus you have less equipment to keep up with.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the advantages are two:
    1) standardization of frames and boxes <since these get cheaper the more you buy some $ economy is also possible.

2) the weight of a full box is less, so any physical limitation is a bit less restrictive <ie a standard deep can approach 100# when filled with honey.

5. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Another advantage of having one size of hive bodies , seems like in the spring when i want to split a hive that is booming and they are in deep hive bodies, i will only have med. boxes with me or visavis. :roll: Jack

6. Murrell

Murrell New Member

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of my yard. { Click on Pic. to enlarge }
    I use all medium hive boxs, top to bottom, notice even the nucs are medium. Reason = Weight
    Also I use lugs or cleats for handles. Reason = Arthritis

The hives are setting on the side of hill, { we are in the Ozarks } about 10 ft down from the ridge top. Behind them is a 4 ft metal West wind breaker { actually the metal from a above ground
    swimming pool }

Every one do their own thing
    Murrell

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Welcome to the board nofo77. The mediums are alot less work (lifting, inspecting, etc) and you have less equipment to keep tabs on.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

well from my perspective, so long as your equipment is the same wether full depth, medium or shallow doesn't matter, then you will always have the same equipment to use whenever you want. there are advantages to some types of supers/ brood chambers over others. Again you will determine what suits you. I never had issuees with weight of full depth supers, and prefer them for brood chambers. if weight is your issue, then medium depth supers are for you. There are some concerns about full depth supers if your giving the bees foundation, as they may nor fully draw out the foundation unless there is a strong honey flow on in the area, or your heavily feeding them at the time you give them the foundation, but that may also be the case with any foundation you give them conditions will determine what the bees will do. At the end of the day you will determine what you like and dislike and what works for you.
    Hasta Manana
    Barry

9. nofo77

nofo77 New Member

Thank you so much guys!
    Now I understand what I was reading and, as you say, this method has some good advantages. Here in Spain, almost every beekeeper still works with deeps and shallow supers, in a traditional way.
    I'll consider this option, maybe with a couple of hives and see how it works here in my place.

Still being struck by Beekeeping!

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Bees are amazing considering what they can accomplish with no tools aside from what god gave them with thier bodies, no math for geometry( cell construction ), no compass to navigate( orientation flights ), no maps to pot courses for others to follow( but they dance to show others the way back ) How 60,000 to 80,000 individual insects can work together for a common good when 6 people can't sit at a table and have a consenus on any 3 items of buisness.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Murrel, haven't you heard that bee stings are good for arthritis perhaps your not being stung enough lol

12. riverrat

riverrat New Member

nofo77 welcome to the forum its great to see international members in the forum as there a wealth of information that can be shared from country to country as each country seams to have there own ways of keeping bees. I can say I use only deeps for brood chambers mediums for extracted honey and shallows for cut comb. Let me explain why i do this. I dont like using mediums for a both brood and honey production when brood frames get mixed in with honey production frames it will tend to darken the honey doesnt make it bad but just my preference. the first 2 years I used mediums and shallows for honey production. what I found was when I had the kids switch the frames into 9 frame instead of 10 the second year i ended up with a lot of shallow frames in mediums and that resulted in a mess. So the best solution for me was the kids can look at the frame if it has drawn comb it goes in the medium if it has the comb cut out it goes in a shallow it has worked quite well in my operation.

13. Murrell

Murrell New Member

riverrat;
    What's all this talk about kid's doing all the work !
    Don't Ks. work laws about that kinda stuff ?? Just kidding.

Way back, when Ks. had the Farm to Market law, you could get a licence to drive a truck at the age of 14 as long as it was Agriculture products.
    The co. I worked for had a large farm outside Pittsburg Ks. The licence was recipical. At 14 I got my Ks.Farm to Market and hauled dairy products all over the Mid West.
    Should of stayed in school I guess.

Murrell
    Ps. Back then they weren't Semi's they were Tractor-Trailers

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

TN still has that in place. You have to write out a request telling why you need it, although they do not grant many of them. I tried to get all four of my daughters to try it and they chickened out.