Deer Food Plot and Bee Forage Dilemma

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by DonMcJr, May 30, 2012.

1. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Ok so I started with 2 acres of Food Plots for my deer. Everything on Deer Food Plots say "Mow before it flowers"...

Now I have a Beehive. I want the flowers for the bees.

I have an acre of Clover/Chicory mix and an acre of Buckwheat. My original plan was don't Mow the clover til the Buckwheat starts to Flower...which it is doing now.

But I have A LOT of Chicory mixed in the clover that is 3 foot high and beginning to flower.

So is the chicory really benefitical to my bees? If so ill leave it alone for a week or two...if not the clover has been in bloom for two weeks and is every bit of a foot tall and would Probally benefit from mowing and I do have the acre of Buckwheat for the bees...

Decisions decisions...

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Don, I have not had much experience with the buckwheat but we have planted lots of clover/chickory on the farm. We mow once it flowers and seeds out. In most cases it comes back thicker and we repeat the process. Not sure about mowing the buckwheat....

The bee's here spend lots of time in the clover.

3. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

The Buckwheat I am gonna disc in for green manure end of July and plant soybeans for the deer. Then they will be green when all the farmers soybeans are turning yellow.

The clover flowers haven't seeded yet so I'll now after that happens...if my riding mower can get through 3 feet of clover and Chicory!