Deer gun recommendations

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by Marbees, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Marbees

Marbees Member

Planned to buy a hunting gun in 2012 . Mostly for deer, some turkeys and maybe occasionally a pheasant. ;)
    I realized that some of you are very experienced hunters and would appreciate any advice from you. By province regulations, in my area only shot gun and bow are allowed. Bow recommendations also appreciated.
    Not interested in the cheapest one, but wouldn't buy anything above the Remington Wingmaster either. Details like gauge and barrel size very welcome, I'm very uneducated in this area. Hope it changes with your help. Thanks

2. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

12 gauge. Pump action. Either a Remington 870, a Winchester 1300, or a Mossberg 500. I've got 1 of each of the first two, and 2 Mossbergs.
    The Mossberg is the least expensive. Get a rifled slug barrel with cantilevered scope mount for deer (you won't need more than a 4 power scope), and a 30 inch barrel with interchangable choke tubes for birds, rabbits, feral cats.....oops-I didn't say that. You don't need to spend real big money for a decent shotgun.
    Good luck.

3. Marbees

Marbees Member

Thank you gunsmith, that's the kind of info I was looking for. :thumbsup:
    If you had to choose only one gun among those three you mentioned, what would be your choice?

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

Where you live do they sell sabot slugs?

5. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Marbees:
    For the money, I'd go with a Mossberg 500 Turkey/Deer combo. This is synthetic stock, camo painted with 2 barrels. 1 is a rifles slug barrel, and the other has the interchangable choke tubes. I use my Mossberg more than I do any of my other shotguns.

6. Marbees

Marbees Member

Yes, they do

7. Marbees

Marbees Member

Thanks Gunny,
    What you said in the few lines of the first response to my post is basically what I have found after 4 hours of digging through various gun sites and forums. :thumbsup:
    Mossberg beeing more affordable than other guns, and Remington 870 beeing the "coolest", but both very accurate and dependable.
    Also, cantilevered scope mounth is a must. Much safer. Rifled slug barrel being prefered by deer hunters. :D

8. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

Marbees the only only thing I would suggest other than what was advised above,is to: 1)go with more than a 4x scope. 2) use this ammo(http://www.hornady.com/store/Slugs/). You'll most likely need more glass than 4x because the Hornaday rifled slug(used only in a rifled barrel) is accurate up to 200 yards.

That's my 2 coppers on the subject :mrgreen:

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

That is a really powerful ammo Cracker. With rifled barrel and this ammo it's like shooting a rifle.
    (Now I sound like I know, what I'm talking about) :lol: :lol:
    What scope would be appropriate for this set up? Thanks :thumbsup:

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Gunsmith pretty much covered it as far as I'm concerned. Wood on a gun is purtty but if you spend any time on a snow mach, duck boat or atv then a syn. stock is a much better choice. Jim

11. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

A 3x9x40mm would do fine for up to 200 yds.A friend of mine has the same Mossberg model 500 gold trigger you were looking at and has a 3x9x40mm on his,and we were just talking about it last Wed. and he said that if he'd not had that scope he wouldn't have seen the horns on the spike he shot at 150 yds.

12. crackerbee

crackerbee Member

That's the same stock I have on my rifle: http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/ ... amily=001C

300 WSM Love it!!!

13. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Kinda funny that I would recomend a syn. stock over wood, I'm into muzzle loaders(still have and use modern CF) and refuse to have syn. stocks or inlines, gotta be ol fashion sidelocks either rock or cap. Jim

14. Tyro

Tyro Member

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I bought a crossbow a couple of years ago, but it must be defective. I can't hit a thing with it. :roll:

16. Marbees

Marbees Member

Ithaca is beauty. :thumbsup: