Deformed wing

Discussion in 'Pests and Diseases' started by Jay Redstone, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Jay Redstone

Jay Redstone New Member

Hi I'm a newbee from upstate ny I just finished treating my hives for a varoa infestation with formic acid strips one hive has deformed wing syndrome my question is there any problem with the honey they are producing? Is the honey safe knowing that there is a disease in the hive?

2. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

welcome aboard.....im a newish beekeeper myself, where abouts upstate? im about 30 minutes north of oneonta headed towards cooperstown... I like to use oxilic acid vapor for controlling mites, it has much less damaging effect on the bees and treatments are pennies, you just have to repeat to get any mites in capped broad..I would say the honey should be good since we dont have wings..lol..but seriously, I dont think that would transfer to the honey or to humans for consumption...just make sure you leave enough in the hive so they survive through the winter..

Gypsi and Jay Redstone like this.

3. Jay Redstone

Jay Redstone New Member

Tnx so much for your reply the reason I use formic acid is that it as an affect in capped brood and you can keep the honey suppers on and I applied only one strip at a time doing a 21 day treatment tnx

4. roadkillbobb

roadkillbobb Active Member

when I treat with OA I leave the honey supers on, as OA is natural occurring in honey already, but I will harvest any honey for myself before treating and wait a month after to harvest more..and I havent had much of any mortality rate on the bees themselves with using OA..

5. ccjersey

ccjersey Member

The deformed wing virus is not much of a problem for the bees under "normal" circumstances. However the varroa vector it straight into the bees system as they feed vs the bees coming into contact with the virus from other bees or honey etc.

With the virus being ubiquitous in the bee (mite) population, I don't think honey etc are a danger for that. Honey etc are more of a concern in regards to foul broods and Nosema that are not vector transmitted.

Gypsi likes this.