Delayed reaction to sting

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by letitbee, Jun 16, 2012.

1. letitbee

letitbee New Member

Has anyone else had a delayed reaction to getting stung? Yesterday i went out to see my hives as it has been very hot and humid here and the bees have been massively bearding on the outside of the hives. When I got about 10 feet away I got hit in the arm like a hornet sting only it was one of my bees, and several others joined in the attack. I managed to outrun them:lol: but got stung once on my wrist:eek:. Last night there was no swelling, only a slight itch so I paid it no mind. This morning I went out for a motorcycle ride and my wrist started to swell like a balloon. I scraped the stinger out immediatley after getting stung and I am wondering if the vibration from the handlebars might have caused venom that was trapped under the skin to spread. Its doesn't hurt at all and I feel fine but I have one Popeye arm now. Has this happened to anyone else? I think I'll keep away from the girls til the weather cools off a bit:chased:

2. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

no need to avoid the girls, but you'll remember this and better protect yourself next time. With all that bearding going on, is the nectar flow over, if so all the grumpy, now unemployed foragers are home--seeing you saunter by gave them another job, guardians of the realm. lol
    Barry

3. letitbee

letitbee New Member

HAHA,,yeah barry, I think the foragers are enjoying their new role as guard bees. There is still a lot of action at the door as far as bees bringing in loads of pollen but we have had no rain for weeks so I suspect the nectar has dried up some. I think I might use this dearth as an excuse to let the girls clean up my super frames from last fall. If I set them 100 feet from the hives I am pretty sure the guards won't see me and let me have it again:grin:. They were so gentle when I checked them the other day and now they have a 6'2'' 230 lbs biker dude hiding from them:lol:....and after all I've done for the little ingrates:grin:

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I wouldnt let any of your "Club buddies" hear that statment ..... lol

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I wouldn't place a wt super in the open--is invitation to start robbing, and if you thought the girls were riled up before--let robbing start you will wish they were as pleasant as they were when you got tagged. place the wet super on the hive but under the innercover to avoid any possibility of robbing.
    Barry

6. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I usually have little, if any, reaction. Then, the next day or overnight, the swelling starts with the itching. After a couple of days all is well.

Walt

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I think Barry meant to say "over" the inner cover. Let them come up through the escape hole and pull the residue down into the brood chamber where they will use it.

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Letitbee: "Has anyone else had a delayed reaction to getting stung? "

efmesch: Nothing unusual. There are all sorts of reactions. The same person can respond differently from one sting to another, even on the same part of the body. Sometimes, a sting on the hand, distal to a watchband will be sort of "blocked back" and slowly work its way up, swelling up the arm over the course of a few days.

You sound like this sting has upset you. Don't let it. Even when stung, the girls have to know that YOU are the boss.

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Well, as for who's the boss, am not so sure about that, but you certainly have to be confident and move calmly and deliberately when working the bees, or you may be in for a quite rude surprise. Bet you didn't know that fear has a discernible odor. If your afraid, you are feeding hormones into your blood stream, that can be smelt by other animals and certainly insects. Dogs react to this smell by testing you to see how you react, your body language determines the next course of action by the animals. With bees, I have always been a believer in if you act like you belong where you are, calm, deliberate, confident motions, you will largely be treated like you belong. Get jerky and sudden--the actions of a predator, and you will be treated like he predator you are. Just stay focused and never get frightened without immediately getting angry the anger causes other chemistry changes that are recognized differently.
    Barry

10. Omie

Omie New Member

I had 'Popeye arm' this week too.
    The big itching and swelling stuff happens most for me the day after a sting, then is bad for two to three days, then starts getting better.

11. hlhart2001

hlhart2001 New Member

I received my 1st sting on the inside of my wrist this week....didn't swell the first day(used Sting Stop and that helped to ease the pain), but did swell just a bit the second day and was very itchy! Baking soda paste worked best(better than benedryl cream)...all better the third day. I actually prefer the pain to the itching.

12. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You are now an official member of the "club". :thumbsup:

13. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

A few weeks back, Hobie recommended applying chewed plantain leaves promptly to the sting. I haven't had the opportunity to try this, thank goodness. hlhart suggests baking soda paste. That makes sense and I am going to remember that as well. A sting in the future is inevitable.

14. blueblood

blueblood New Member

My grandma used the soda paste on us way back and is always something we do today...draws it well...

15. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I seem to remember, from somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory, hearing that powdered meat tenderizer (from the spice rack) works on stings. Has anyone else heard of this?

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

The closest I can get is to tell you that the sting tenderizes my meat. :rolling::rotfl::mrgreen:

17. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

I remember that too Gunsmith but never tried it, back when I was real small (dinosaurs roamed the earth) when we kids found (and were too stupid to leave alone) a yellow jacket nest in the side of a small hill my mothers friend told her about it after us kids got back to the house (yep we lost the war with the bees):chased:

18. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I haven't had much luck with tenderizer on bee stings. It does work on some jellyfish stings which are on the surface of the skin.

Walt

19. beecrazy101

beecrazy101 New Member

I went out one day to just take a peak in one of my hives to just be noisy, and sure as heck one bee hit me right in the eyelid. Now that brought tears to that eye. Had to walk inside and have the wife pull out the stinger. Look like someone punched me in the eye. Three days it took to go down. Then I went out to do my splits and dropped a frame, talk about getting pissed off. They stung me like ten or twelve times. The way I look at it is, it is helping my immune to the stings. They aren't itching or hurting as much. But I do not want one in the eyelid again. Not nice.:cry: