Demonstration Hive help needed

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by jmblakeney, Apr 5, 2012.

1. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

I am going to try and build a Demonstration hive to have on hand. I have borrowed one from G3 (a single frame deep) to get the basic dimensions off of. I couldn't find any online. I was looking for a single frame medium demo hive stand but G3 said it would probably be better since I have mediums only to do it in a 2 frame stacked model. (I hope you guys can understand, the stand will hold 2 frames only, and they will be stack on top of each other) I have gotten all the dimensions as far as the width and depth goes, but I am having a lil bit of trouble figuring out the dado cuts for the sides/frame rest for each side and how far up they should be for a 2 framer. Does anyone have one they could get the dimensions off of? Here is a is a quick sketchup. I am looking for the length of "A" while maintaining the proper bee space.
    frame rest.jpg

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

It would be the same depth as a medium super.

3. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Leave the top notch just where it is and move the top bar up 3/8" for bee space on the top of the frame, just like it was an inner cover on the top.

Picture in your mind (or paper as you have already done) an inside, side view (section) of two mediums stacked up with a bottom board and inner cover, don't make the frame rest too loose side to side for the frame to shift around maybe crushing bees.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks familiar :lol::lol:

Just like the one I gave him, even made by the same fella. Some nice folks I use to go to church with bought it for a vacation Bible school theme they were doing if I would provide the frame of bees, after it was over they gave it to me. The one they bought was made of heavy masonite.

6. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

not a bad price .. they also have one for med frames too..

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

looks like there another project for blueprints in the future:grin:

8. jmblakeney

jmblakeney New Member

:thumbsup:

I've got all the dimensions now for each piece of wood in the demo hive. If you are interested I could send them to you. I would love to have a program like you or robo uses to actually lay it out all neat a organized.

I just couldn't get it figured out in my head because i had to change the height from one deep frame size to two medium frames tall.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Pm sent with contact info thanks for the offer