Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a shameless way to get ideas but hey, I've never been shy. :lol:
Given some of the obvious talent on this forum in the design department (regarding t-shirt logos), I thought it might be interesting to put all of everyone's experience and dreams together, and come up with the "perfect" design for a honey house.
There would only be a few parameters, a few helpful guidelines to keep in mind: :wink:

First, let's say you have an uncapping tank that measures somewhere around 33" by 20", with a drain in one end.

Second, let's say you have an extractor, say a 20 frame radial, about 32" across, that loads from two sides. :lol:

Third, let's say you have water jacketed clarifier/sump, say about 42" by 15", give or take.

Fourth, you probably have a honey pump, which doesn't take up much space.

Fifth, let's say you have a circular bottling tank that is about 22" across.

The rest would be taking into account storage of full supers, empty supers, doors, sinks, etc.

This could be a template for anyone thinking about setting one up.

Any takers?

·
Registered
509 Posts
sure, take all of those measurements and triple them. Then add an isle. lets not forget water and electric. Make it 2 stories for storage room. Add HVAC. and viola. . . A honey house!

·
Registered
509 Posts
just those initial components without storage or much room to move will pretty much take up a 12x20 space. Adding in storage; how much storage do you need? how many supers, hive bodies, other bits n pieces. work tables, candle processing? bottle storage? I can see a 20x 40 building being close to correct if you do one story.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Keith, you're killing me here! :shock: :sad: :lol: I'm gonna guess that there might be a separate building for storage, say, something in the order of 12 x 14'.
A person would have to make a lot of $$$ to justify a 20 x 40. Don't know if they would even allow that size a building on a lot this size in town.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
How big of building were you wanting to erect? Is there a limit on how large of detached garage you can build? another consideration is on an out building some municipality's will let you build X big of out building per year with out a permit. Extracting room before Christmas, hot room\ storage room next year.
Build it big enough once you have the equipment to handle more hives the hive numbers will grow and soon you will be looking to upgrade equipment. eventually a horizontal extracting line.
first question height of outlet on extractor compared to height of clarifier/sump tank.
2 Washroom facilitys?
3 septic system?
3 attached to your home or separate building?
4 loading dock set to use hand truck for loading unloading truck. Pickup height now 1 ton flat deck in future?
5 separate show room for honey sales and bottling of honey away from the bees that make it in the honey house hot room and extracting room.
How many colonies are you trying to get to as it will effect the amount of storage space and hot room capacity you need.
photo of where you are placing building is the land flat and access to the building loading unloading public access work shop included?
PM me your postal code and address so I can Google map it.
I can draw you a set of plans to take to city hall your building specs wont be much different than here. snow load a maybe little greater. all thet info can be found on the web.
soil? clay, sand, gravel, deep topsoil?
Photo of house if you want it to match and resemble it. Roof line, siding, style, that type of thing? windows ? facing a view?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
The B.C. Apiary branch had a pamphlet with honey house layouts It use to be part of the new beekeepers Information pack. I will try to find my hard copy and scan and post it. I think it was the last couple of pages in the building equipment pamphlet. you might have it if you ever got the beginners package.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Keiths (as in plural)
Apis, not too sure that would fit in my neighbourhood unless I changed my name to Bilbo or Frodo. :lol:

I think perhaps I was too grandiose in my intial dreams and am not thinking about loading docks, washrooms, etc. (If I need to use the washroom I can duck into the house).
I guess what is more realistic (for me anyways) is something simple yet efficient.
I doubt many of us are thinking about going commercial (maybe Zookeep) :wink: so I guess what I had in mind was something a lot of us regular keeps (if there is such a thing) might be able to afford. I am not even sure what separates a commercial from a sideliner from an "enthusiastic" hobbiest.
I was thinking about 50 - 100 hives max. but it would be nice to have something efficient and small enough for someone with 5 to 10 as well.
I have purchased most of my extracting gear used, in fact, the only new piece I have bought was a bottling tank and only because someone I knew was driving close to Maxant and could pick it up. The bottling tank cost more than everything else added together (extractor, clarifier, uncapping tank and plane, and even the pump I'm eyeing, altogether around $1375) less than the bottling tank which was $1400.
I would like to think if one keeps ones eyes open for deals, a decent extracting set-up does not need to break the bank.
I may even try to help offset some costs by doing a little custom extracting.
In my area in town no building permit is needed for anything under 215 sq ft. with no limit on how many.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
lol heck no, Im doing this for fun, and I learned along time ago if you really love something dont do it for a living, you will learn to hate it, for me also 100 hives or less, and here if you build under 150 sq ft you dont need a permit, so I plan on 2-140 sq foot building on skids ( at some point get pushed together:cool:) or with a little breeze way between.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
perry says:
"A guy would have to make a lot of $$$ to justify a 20 x 40."

........:lol:
where's omie, i need omie in here........ :queen:......:lol:
Please note, I have changed this particular post to truly reflect the gender neutral nature of our beekeeping membership.
(Plus, I really don't want to have Omie pi$$ed at me) :shock: :lol:

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
perry~
"Please note, I have changed this particular post to truly reflect the gender neutral nature of our beekeeping membership.
(Plus, I really don't want to have Omie pi$$ed at me) :shock: :lol:
"
:rotfl:......
i do have a building already built on my property that would be great for a 'honey house', and we have often talked about converting it to that, however it will take a lot of cash to fix it up. roof, doors, windows, not to mention fixing up the interior, replacing a stair way, the floor above, and running electrical and another septic system (ouch on that cost) . it sits on a concrete foundation and the walls are block, similar to a milk house i have converted to storage of equipment. a costly investment i really can't justify, or will ever pay for itself. i think that's the challenge most of us face when dreaming about honey houses. as perry said, keeping it affordable, simple yet efficient would be really nice, and something that might pay for itself in the future.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts