Destroyed bees

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, May 31, 2013.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

So... I received this email today, after sitting on the porch waiting for new bees for our TBH.

To: Affected Pigeon Mountain Customers

Subject: Live Bees Shipped UPS Next Day Air May 30th

Dear Customers

I must inform you that all 454 packages of bees shipped out on UPS next day air to you on May 30th have been destroyed somehow. This happened at the Louisville UPS center in Kentucky.

For 61 of you, this is the second time in less than two weeks that this has happened, your bees were destroyed at the Louisville distribution center previously.

Obviously to say we are heartbroken is an understatement! We do not know what happened at UPS, our account manager Mr. Russel Ayers informed us of this a couple hours ago. He does not know what happened either at this point, only that all the 454 packages of bees are destroyed.

Mr. Ayers has given us permission to provide his e-mail address and phone number for any of you whom wish to contact him at UPS. Mr. Ayers has worked extremely hard to make sure all went well with the shipment and I believe is as upset as we are with what has happened.

2. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Dang...what a waste. Sorry to hear that. I will be interested in what they find.

4. melrose

melrose New Member

Only 2 were mine, but prob last of the available packages. After calling everybody, PM was the only folks that had some. They actually were 100 packages short for order filling, really sux to have lost almost 1400lbs of good bees.
    Something like this should make the news. I hate to imply that something is amiss in Louisville, but twice? I smell a crime.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I wish you were closer...I would give you all the swarms you needed. Plenty around here.

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Don't know whether it's a crime or just stupidity. "Dang, there's a bee on this box. Hey Bubba, hold my beer and hand me that can of raid."
    I'm not trying to make light of such a disaster-but something's definitely wrong.

7. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

If I was PF I would be getting my hands on some of those dead packages and have them tested. If they come up being poisoned someone would have to pay!

8. melrose

melrose New Member

Thanks Dave, that's my next course, traps are going out tomorrow, I don't believe we have swarming happening here yet. Just sitting and waiting.

9. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Im going to go out on a limb here and suggest temperature, suffication, or some other culprit is to blame other than spraying. Bees are insects and insects of that number in a small cage poses a lot of risks when shipping. It would take a lot of cans of raid to do the job and would be quite obvious they had been sprayed.

10. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I read about this on a thread on that "other forum". Here's what I said there:

I don't have a dog in this fight, I'm on the outside looking in. I can see a few different aspects to this story.

My first thought is "first time shame on you, second time shame on me". But I'm sure PM had some intense conversations with UPS after the first batch was destroyed.

But they say:

"I must inform you that all 454 packages of bees shipped out on UPS next day air to you on May 30th have been destroyed somehow. This happened at the Louisville UPS center in Kentucky.

For 61 of you, this is the second time in less than two weeks that this has happened, your bees were destroyed at the Louisville distribution center previously."

Maybe if the 454 or at least the 61 got together, this might be a class-action lawsuit vs UPS.

or the other this is that they go on to say:

"Option two is we will if you wish ship to you bees using the USPS which is ground shipping on Wednesday June 5th."

From what I hear about trying to settle with UPS, this might be the least painful, most hopeful solution.

I really feel bad for all the folks that lost out on this. I hope they get some bees from somewhere. And I hope somehow the news picks up on this disaster and publicizes it.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am with riverrat here and would suspect exactly the same cause. In one of those dry van all it requires is a good sunny day and the internal temperature of the van to go to 110 degrees or so and there is not much left for anyone to do once you have opened the dry van to look inside. In shipping queens or packages I always have concerns about closed up van bodies setting on a bit of asphalt for just a bit too long.

12. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

A lot of trucks now have fiberglass tops to let the light (and heat) in. It can get really really hot inside one. I can remember sweeping out a semi truck trailer in Laredo, TX once in the daytime. That is the hottest times I can remember experiencing. And the doors were open, too.

13. melrose

melrose New Member

Yes, my first thought was vandals... but twice in two weeks lead me to be a little skeptic. Hopefully everything will pan out without too much headache.