Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was a beekeeper in Hereford, AZ for 3 years until I moved to san Antonio,Tx in 2012. I had 5 hives which I had to sell before moving. Moved back to AZ in 2015 and now live in Sierra Vista,Az. Sierra Vista is in south cental Az and 75 miles south of Tucson. Just started back to beekeeping and hived my 1st package of small cell bees 10 days ago. Purchjased them and my 2nd package from Wolf Creek Bees that I hived yesterday. Package was mis-sent to Sioux Falls,SD and therefore traveled extra 1450 miles by land transport by USPS and took total 8 days to arrive. Weighed the dead bees and net weight over 16 oz.. Not sure if queen survived. Will wait to see if workers start to carry in pollen into the hive.
Question: When do the bees start to bring pollen into the hive? Is it when the queen starts laying eggs or after the eggs hatch? This will help me determine if I still have a queen in the hive.

·
Super Moderator
3,538 Posts
I am not sure. I interpret pollen going in as "the queen is laying". it will help you determine if she is laying. Their attitude may help you determine whether she is present. A queenless hive tends to be hot and unhappy

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was a beekeeper in Hereford, AZ for 3 years until I moved to san Antonio,Tx in 2012. I had 5 hives which I had to sell before moving. Moved back to AZ in 2015 and now live in Sierra Vista,Az. Sierra Vista is in south cental Az and 75 miles south of Tucson. Just started back to beekeeping and hived my 1st package of small cell bees 10 days ago. Purchjased them and my 2nd package from Wolf Creek Bees that I hived yesterday. Package was mis-sent to Sioux Falls,SD and therefore traveled extra 1450 miles by land transport by USPS and took total 8 days to arrive. Weighed the dead bees and net weight over 16 oz.. Not sure if queen survived. Will wait to see if workers start to carry in pollen into the hive.
Question: When do the bees start to bring pollen into the hive? Is it when the queen starts laying eggs or after the eggs hatch? This will help me determine if I still have a queen in the hive.
I was told that the bees bringing in pollen indicated there are “grubs” in the hive....it really doesn’t indicate the queen is laying because they bring in pollen for laying workers too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts