Did a split, did I do ok so far?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by stormranch, Aug 13, 2009.

1. stormranch

stormranch New Member

Had a hive that seemed to be just piddling along, it was from a swarm I picked up this summer. Picked up a mated queen, intending to requeen. Upon inspection, the old queen was doing better than I thought, with a nice brood pattern on 3-4 frames. Few missed cells, lots of capped brood and new eggs. However, it was just 3-4 frames in the center of the box. I had run out of inner covers for this super,so I had just covered it with a piece of plywood. I noticed that on this particular super, there was not a lot of room on top of the frames, I guess the side slots werent cut as deep. At any rate, I figured that maybe the queen didnt have easy access to the other frames, so I popped some small, narrow board strips the top edge of box, so that the lid rides higher.
    I split 3 nice frames with lots of brood from a strong hive into another super with the queen on Sunday. As of today (Wednesday) they still hadnt freed the queen, so I released her into the hive. How long should I give her before I go looking for new egg production? Should I start feeding right away?

Thanks,

Mark

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Feed heavily and check in 7 days.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

need to keep the feed to them, hopefully you gave them a frame of honey also.

should see eggs in at least a week, that is if your queen was mated.

Gee that's sound kind of familiar don't it!

G3

4. stormranch

stormranch New Member

Hmm, I seem to see a trend here. Yes, they have a frame of honey, and the queen is mated so I will check in a week. Also, G3 I like your idea of adding the comb from the open air colony that the bees left after hiving. A great idea. Will keep you posted and thanks for the help g3 and Iddee.

Mark