Did an inspection and noticed a few things

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Aug 13, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

A few weeks ago we finally put our upper deep on. Yesterday we inspected and saw a bit of honey and larva in the upper deep. Okay cool. We also noticed that on some of the frames that have either been started, or not started, the bees had eaten holes in the foundation around the edges and towards the bottom. In the bottom deep there are still about 2 frames that haven't been drawn out. And frames that have been drawn out and have had bees come out and are now empty. I saw a bit of honey storage and more larva. My wife says she saw some eggs. I couldn't see them. In the past week there have been a few days with a bunch of orientation flights going on. Does everything sound like it's okay? Do you think I need to start feeding again?

Jason

2. ndm678

ndm678 Member

Did you put the upper deep on before they were ready? Waiting until the bottom was drawn 80% is recommended, but its too late for that now.

rw02kr43- the bees had eaten holes in the foundation around the edges and towards the bottom.

ndm678 - Sounds like they wanted to make some drone comb. My bees did the same, I thought it was communication holes at first, then they built it back for drones.

It sounds like things are normal, to me, others may have some better information to share with you.

3. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Are you feeding sugar water? When the flow is over and not much coming in the bees will eat holes in the foundation. Jack
    PS. if you were using plastic foundation they would starve and die.:eek:

4. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

It's wax foundation. I put the upper deep on when they had drawn out 8 of the 10 frames. I'll mix up some sugar water and feed them tonight. I see them every morning bringing in pollen from somewhere. But I'll feed them anyway and see if that will help.

Jason

5. Omie

Omie Active Member

Bees that are not on plastic foundation often like the bottom of the comb to be not attached to the bottom edge of the frame. Nothing to worry about. In natural hives, the leaves of hanging comb are often not attached along the bottom. Some say the bees like to communicate with vibrations between the combs, and that having this free side allows that. True or not, bees seem to like having the bottom of combs hang free, so no harm in it, especially if it's brood frame and you have no plans to extract it.