Did/Do you have a beek mentor? Still using his methods?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, Mar 9, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

You all have been my collective mentor in my beekeeping infancy. Recently I found a great beekeeping resource here NE Utah and I've learned to heed his advice. But I still like to read a lot and there seems to be 100 ways to do a split and 100 ways to prevent swarms and 100 ways to treat for mites and 100 ways to....well, you get the picture. And then I started reading Michael Bush' stuff and, oh boy, my head now feels like it's gonna explode. So I think I'm gonna stick with my mentor for what works here. In my business, we call it "stare and compare". Then after I get my beek legs, I'm going to spread my wings a little and try method 2 of 100.

2. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

every beek does his own thing, they may learn from a great beekeeper but every1 learns to do thing that work for them in there own situation and in there own area, if the beekeeper in your area is doing real well he will know the ins and outs what needs to be done in that area, after soaking up all the info you can from him you can start to add your own twist to what you now know, just remember when the time comes to pass on the info to a new beek, gotta keep the chain going:thumbsup:

3. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

The only mentors in Neoba( our bee club) charged for mentoring- they would diagnose freely by phone( usually any problem we had was attributed to the "Africanized" bees we bought in Texas) but no mentoring program existed. More importance was placed on the monthly potluck than promoting beekeeping.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

over the years I have had some good sideline and then commercial beekeeping mentors that have somewhat guided my own journey. having kept bees for quite a long time and in several places spread across the American landscape I would suggest that a certain level of belief in the experience in your mentor is essential. however.... some time no matter what someone thinks they know the only absolute method to really see if something will work or not is to give it a try.

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I had a really nice guy mentor me when he really had little time to do so. He was president of the bee club (his wife always brought the fixins to the meetings), was a salmon fisherman with his own boat, and held a regular job as well. While it was less than a full time mentorship by any means, I was always extremely appreciative of the time he could spare.
    It is something (perhaps in fact, the biggest thing) I picked up from him. Help when you can, and sometimes when you can't. :wink:

6. Jacobs

Jacobs New Member

Whenever I get the chance, I hang out with this guy called Iddee. He seems to know what he is doing.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I hope you realize how lucky you are. :thumbsup: :wink:
    But don't let him know, he'll never get his head through the door.

8. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

You all are my mentors for the general stuff. For local info I tap into the local Bee Club.

9. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

Started in 2011 and had no mentor around. Learned what I could from books, internet forums, and YouTube videos. STILL LEARNING.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Started by myself and quickly learned what not to do. The bees survived despite of me. Read a few books on beekeeping the second year, and learned thru observation. Had bees for about 4 years before I was working with a guy and he had taken a beginners beekeeping course and just started keeping bees and so started mentoring him. I found out that there were regular bee meetings and field days from him, so started attending. You never quit
    learning or adapting others ways of doing thing to your own use.
    In all the years of keeping bees I have noticed the one thing that has a huge influence over the bees that we as beekeepers have no control over is the weather. It can be the difference between bees serviving the winter or not. The quality of the queens produced. How the colony builds up in the spring. It can cause the bees to start building swarm cells. It can definitely effect the quantity of the honey crop.
    As a menter the best they can do for you is to educate you as to what you are seeing in the hive and what to be aware of. How to anticipate the needs of the hive.

11. Zulu

Zulu Member

And I hang out with both of them........

Without Jacobs and Iddee, I would not be where I am with bees....

12. indypartridge

indypartridge New Member

Good plan. I often tell new beekeepers that keeping bees is like making meatloaf. There are probably 1000 different ways to make a meatloaf, but if you try all the different ways at once, you'll end up with something not very tasty. The best thing is to find one recipe you like, practice until you can make a decent meatloaf, and then you can start experiementing. Change out the bread crumbs for crushed cornflakes. Try BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. Mix some ground pork with the ground beef. Beekeeping is no differnet. Find one method that works for you, then you can start trying different things.

13. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Litefoot, I agree with you, this forum has done the same justice for me as a mentor. It accelerated my learning beyond measure. We are fortunate to live in an electronic age.

14. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

what tec said and in part-
    "some time no matter what someone thinks they know the only absolute method to really see if something will work or not is to give it a try."

and in part what apis said-
    "You never quit learning or adapting others ways of doing thing to your own use."

if you asked me how long i have kept bees, i would say, and will always say not long enough.....

btw litefoot, mentors aren't always 'he's'........:lol:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  15. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Litefoot---you got stung on that one. :rolling:
    Riverbee is very sensitive about equality between the sexes (at least as far as beekeepers is concerned,--and maybe more). Now that she's on a restricted program of active beekeeping.:club:
    I think she's going to be doing a lot more mentoring this year.
    Her loss,:cry:
    Our gain. :grin:

16. litefoot

litefoot New Member

Oops, sorry. What a bumble bee I am. Please don't kick out this insensitive drone. It's not even Spring yet.:roll:

17. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Oops, sorry. What a bumble bee I am. Please don't kick out this insensitive drone. It's not even Spring yet.:roll:"

:lol:......ya fit in here great litefoot, i see ef is poking fun at me again on my restricted program......you guys are the ones that will suffer the most over my mentoring program....:lol:

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I hope Riverbee is going to be doing a lot of mentoring, I think I lost my local mentor sometime this winter, he's too busy. He's always been too busy as a matter of fact. Did my first cutout with my old friend my exterminator showing me the ropes last spring because my mentor was busy. I am female, and in our local bee club the women bring the treats, do the bookkeeping, etc., but none of them seem to actually do much with bees. I on the other hand am a contractor and I do my own bees.

I missed the meeting tonight, they were going to talk about splits. Could have gone half an hour late and dirty, would have run out of gas if I had made it. I need to learn to do splits. Since I do have a new bee book I suspect I should open it and do some reading, then send Riverbee an email with questions.

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Send your questions to rieverbee on the open forum so we can all learn from her answers.:grin:

20. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Send your questions to rieverbee on the open forum so we can all learn from her answers.:grin:"

uh-oh.....:confused:......
    expect a book in the mail....:lol:

litefoot, never mind us...to your original post.....
    "So I think I'm gonna stick with my mentor for what works here. In my business, we call it "stare and compare". Then after I get my beek legs, I'm going to spread my wings a little and try method 2 of 100. "

your beek legs start now......:grin: