did I do the right thing?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by DLMKA, May 7, 2012.

1. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The nuc I bought had some capped honey on the outermost frames that protruded past the width of the end bars on the frames by 6-7mm but there was also come brood cells with capped brood in the bottom of the frames. When I installed the nuc it was in the 50s so I kept all the nuc frames together and added the 5 new frames on the outside. Anyway, I noticed this weekend that the capped honey was protruding into the next fram over and the bees weren't drawing that out. Since the weather has taken a turn and we have a strong flow on I moved those frame with capped honey all the way to the outsides of the box and mixed the new frames in with the frames that came in the nuc. The problem is the capped honey now voilates beespace on the outside of the box and I think it touches in spots even. Will the bees now uncap and relocate that honey to open up the beespace or will it be abandoned? All the frames are butted up tight to each other.

2. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dklma,
    the bees will not ignore a honey frame and it doesn't matter if that frame 'touches' in spots. i had a little trouble following you, honey frames are normally on the outsides...., brood frames in the center, what frames are they not drawing out? foundation?, and how are they positioned? are you feeding them to get them to draw out the foundation? maybe describe a little better the positioning of your frames? (and how many).

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

4. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

B = brood frames from nuc
    N = new frames
    H = Frames from nuc with capped honey drawn past end bars, some brood in the lower parts of these frames too.

after hiving initially:
    NNHBBBHNNN

After moving things around Saturday:
    HNBNNBNBNH

The outermost "B" frames are now back to being the outermost frames and intermixed new frames with the old frames to try to get the queen to start using the newly drawn comb. The capped honey in the outermost frames touches or comes dang close to touching the sides of the box.

They're drawing all the new frames out, I by mid-week I'll probably start thinking about putting the second box on that hive. I'm even seeing what I'm pretty sure are eggs in the newly drawn frames.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  5. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

The "N" frames butted up the the "H" frames in the original configuration were being drawn but not to full depth, I was worried about not being able to get those frames out without rolling bees once everything was fully drawn.

6. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

whatever you do, do not separate the brood frames, they must be placed and kept together in the center of your hive.

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dlkma said:
    "The "N" frames butted up the the "H" frames in the original configuration were being drawn but not to full depth, I was worried about not being able to get those frames out without rolling bees once everything was fully drawn."

you will have trouble if you are using 10 frames.....get rid of one and use 9, when the frames of foundation are close to or are fully drawn.

8. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

All the new frames are mostly drawn. It's been in the 80s here, I thought I'd be okay separating the brood frames with newly drawn frames. They'll have eggs in there shortly.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

dlmka, it's best brood frames with eggs,larvae or capped brood are kept together, not scattered, do these brood frames have eggs and larvae in them? if so place them together, if they are empty of eggs or larvae or capped brood, you are fine.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

DLM, I guess we are both wrong. I do exactly what you did, except I squish the honey against the outer wall. A week later I have twice the brood frames and the outer frames have correct bee space. I'm sure I lose a few bees and maybe a bit of honey, but it is made up for within a matter of days.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    H = Frames from nuc with capped honey drawn past end bars

tecumseh:
    you can always correct this with the flat end of the hive tool. after brushing the bees from the fat part of the comb mash gently with the flat end of the hive tool... the girls will clean up the mess.

another snip..
    After moving things around Saturday:
    HNBNNBNBNH

tecumseh:
    I would have likely made this NHBBNBNHN and favoring partly pulled N up against the B. those B seperated by two N and that one B hung out there by itself would have bothered me. population of the nuc and feed would I think change the dynamics here significantly.

12. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

We have a heavy flow going right now. The swarm I hived last Wednesday had 5 frames almost completely drawn and was working on 3 others. I haven't been feeding them sugar syrup. I'll have to look again, I may have screwed up the order I typed the frames out here, I don't think I left more than one new frame between brood frames from the nuc.

13. DLMKA

DLMKA New Member

I looked this morning and the little darlings moved the honey from the outermost frames that were touching the sides of the box to somewhere else, probably just above the brood area. I just popped the cover off to take a look when I filled the feeder this morning, I'll take a closer look tomorrow of Sunday.