did my first split today. here's what I did

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by adamant, Jun 26, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

I bought some packages in march and they really took off. As of today they filled 2 deeps. So this is what I did;
    Instead of putting a honey super on I split the 2 deeps and placed one in another location put a un drowned deep on both with a feeder and walked away.

What do u think? Did I do it right?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you split up the brood nest???

A walk away split is just a little more involved than just that. You don't necessarily have to find the queen, but do need to make sure that there are eggs in BOTH brood boxes if you are not locating the queen. The queenless hive will have to have eggs to be able to make a queen.

More that likely the top box was full of honey and the bottom box had the brood nest in it.

Splitting refers more to splitting the brood nest instead of just the two boxes.

3. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

When splitting, it's best to keep the queenless hive on the original stand. Since it won't start getting new brood for about a month, it may as well get strength from the returning foragers.

4. Omie

Omie New Member

If you wait another 3 days (4 days after your split), you can inspect all the boxes-
    you will find fresh eggs in the boxes that have the queens.
    You should find queen cells in the boxes that don't have the queens.
    If you find any boxes with no eggs and no queen cells, give them a frame that has some eggs on it from some other box, brushing off the bees first so you don't accidentally move a queen on that frame.
    Check again in another 4 days- all boxes should by then have either a queen cell or more newly laid eggs on other frames.
    Always be very careful and gentle when moving a frame with a queen cell- they are quite delicate during certain times of their development.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

adamant said:
    "put a un drowned deep on both with a feeder and walked away."
    :lol:
    thinking you meant undrawn foundation vs un drowned....:grin:
    i would refer to g3's post about splitting up the broodnest ef's post about the queenless hive, and omies post about splits (she is the :queen:eek:f splits!)

good luck!

6. adamant

adamant Member

Well I did nothing mentioned above! Would it be to late to do those things wednesday?

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

nope, get in there and do a proper split.

8. adamant

adamant Member

Grfarms, pm me your e mail address please.

9. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

How far away is "another location?
    If within walking distance you can swap out a frame of eggs from the queen-rite hive for a frame of capped brood/larva in the now queen-less hive. Check back in a week to verify queen cells have been constructed.
    I'm in a similar area as you and my queens are laying in both deeps still so you're probably ok. Never hurts to look though.