did you all know that rat terriers have way more energy then the energizer bunny

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by barry42001, Mar 23, 2013.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

20130324_232254.jpg 20130305_213338.jpg 20130324_232254.jpg 20130305_213338.jpg we picked up hey shelter dog that everybody was saying was a chihuahua mix. Since few chihuahua grow to 12 lbs let alone the 24 lbs Dingo is. now I have training Rottweilers, German shepherds, even Labrador retrievers, this is my first small to medium sized terrier. I can tell you this little dog is laser fast has energy like I have never seen in a dog. he just keeps going and going and going and going and going and going and in general harasses everyone in the house biting toes fingers stray hands, not hard just mouthing them to be annoying and you try to get us to play with him and to try to get the other dog a 9 year old to play with him. to his credit he does make the older dog run around a lot more than what she did any idea how long it takes for a rat terrier to slow down lol.......
    Barry

2. kebee

kebee Active Member

If you find a way please let me know, we have a blue rat terrier that weight around 4 1/2 pounds and 14 months old drives our pomerinian to no end in running and playing, he is 8 years old and doing a good job of keeping up with her. Like you said I wish I had a 10th of her energy than I could really get things done, All I can say is good luck on that.

kebee

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""any idea how long it takes for a rat terrier to slow down""

Be patient. It only takes about 14 years, then they drop to a bit less than 100 MPH. :thumbsup: :lol:

4. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I used to breed them. They don't really have a slow down mode. It will get a bit better when the newness wears off of having a new home. the dog of course is excited to finally have a home and a pack. But it will want to play and will always be energetic. The mouthing can be trained. It is not so much a scolding as do something that interrupts the activity. Get a rope toy and offer that for it to bite on. this way it breaks the association that your hand is something to grasp. The dog is not being bad so it does not need to be corrected. it just needs some new ides of how to play nice. I also tend to tell a dog I don't like something the same way they tell each other. I rumble or growl at it.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

the mouthing aspect I'm not really worried about I realize that he's not biting down hard at all just play nothing more actually more a show of affection. He's about. 16 to 18 inches to the shoulder, about 24. inches long with additional 5 inch tail. Of course big pointed ears tan to beige color.destroys chew toys in hours looking make a weakness then shredding it. Rawhide chews are devoured within 30 minutes. He'll take a toy..push against you..then pinch you with his front teeth. .what I affectionately call flea nips. Just to get a response from you. He chases his tail and gets agitated with his hind leg. lol. The shelter we got him from says he's 1 1/2 years old we believe he younger, black fur in very patches have barely started showing.
    Barry

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

You are braver than I am. I got a 3 month old pup Saturday, but I think she's border collie mixed with lab or something that has wide flat webbed front feet. Single coated (important for my allergies). Border collies are either obsessive compulsive or slow down around age 3 to be great dogs.