Diet tricks, stories, success and (gulp) failures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BjornBee, Nov 19, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Ok, we can get the "Shut your mouth and quit eating" comments out right from the start. We all know for most, too many calories in, and not enough out...equals poundage.

But what have some done to lose pounds?

I think my days of running 5 miles a day like in the military may be long gone. Or at least delayed for now.... :lol:

But what have some of done (no quack stuff please) to lose a few pounds?

For me, besides the liking of too much food (I'm no sweet tooth fan) I always liked to drink a gallon of tea every day, or a few years back, at least a 6 pack of coke.

I once did nothing but drink water, and no other drinks. I ate normally, but just drank water all day. And a glass of water before every meal. I lost many pounds that way.

Anyone got a good plan, a story, or a tip or two?

I think I need to go on "survivor" and live on an island.... :Dancing:

2. Charles

Charles New Member

I have about 3 more years of throwing caution to the wind :yahoo:

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

It's amazing how many calories we DRINK per day in teas, lemonade, sodas, and for me and my hubby it's coffee (sweet and blonde like me when I was young ;) ). Several years ago I was put on a medication that caused me to gain a little over 30 lbs in just a little over a month. 3 months later I was supposed to host a fancy schmancy party for my boss and really didn't want to look like a blimp in a black dress trying to hide her blimpiness so I started looking for HEALTHY ways to lose that weight quickly. I'm not much on starving myself since I like the taste of food and can't stand hunger pangs so I did some reading and learned about the water cure. It worked like a charm for me, I not only lost the weight but I felt better than I had in a very long time.

I don't know how it would work for you (or anyone else) but from time to time I will take a week or two to help my body hit the restore key. I can't take the taste of the salt in the water so I take electrolyte tabs when I'm doing it plus extra vitamins and minerals during that time (at night) to replace what my kidneys are flushing away. Some people love it an use it on a regular basis, some people yell QUACK and run far far away. Here are some links for more info. Whatever you do to lose the weight, do it in a healthy manner so you don't convince yourself that a)it's not worth the effort, or b)you feel better with it than you do trying to lose it. Good luck to you.

http://www.watercure.com/

http://www.watercure2.org/

http://curezone.com/foods/watercure.asp

4. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Every year or so this one surfaces: honey and cinnamon as a cure all. The write up usually sites a Canadian magazine, Weekly World News. I looked up the magazine on the web and it had a "photo" of Sarah Palin holding an infant and an AK-47, leaning over a dead "bigfoot", with a helicpter in the background. :D

Not enough to deter me though. I went for the cinnamon and honey weight loss treatment. Did it for a month.

After a month, my belly still looked like it was swollen from being stung by a swarm of bees, but I enjoyed the honey.

Matbe if I cut down on my wine consumption...naw, that couldn't be it!

Walt

5. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I have been in good shape twice in my lifetime... during and just after military service... and about 3 years ago...

The first one's kinda obvious so I'll just describe the second one...

It started out with a gym membership. No dietary changes at all... at first. I just went to the gym 3-4 times a week, but I would spend 3+ hours in the gym each time. My workout would start with weight lifting, and I spent about an hour doing that, though much of that time was spent waiting for someone else to finish using the equipment so I could use it. Then I did cardio... though I started off only able to to about 10 minutes of cardio, within about 3 months I was doing an hour of cardio and still felt like I could go again for another hour. Then after that I spent about half an hour in the pool (really just goofing off, but I suppose it was still a little bit of excercise), then the rest of the time in either the steam room or sauna... which is the part I really loved. The first couple of weeks of that I actually gained weight, but then I started to lose weight, and quickly... but more importanly, I got the gut I had in the Marines back. Although I didn't make any conscious decisions to change my diet, I did notice that after several months of that, I had naturally cut back a bit on food, but never to the point where I was staying hungry or felt deprived of food.

Three years of no time for the gym and an overnight desk job later and I'm in the worst shape of my life. That's life for ya!

6. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Basically, I think the best method is to eat the same thing as everyone else, just a smaller portion. This and regular exercise (walks, bike rides, nothing major) worked wonders for my Mom. I've found it also helps to drink and entire glass of water before you sit down to a meal. Not only does it fill you up a bit, it keeps you hydrated and helps the body function better overall.

I also have had success saying "no snacks after 8 pm."

I read somewhere that you should always sit down while eating. I know I am a bad one for grabbing a sandwich and eating while trying to do 5 other things.

7. honeybear

honeybear New Member

8. m.s.

m.s. New Member

9. cow pollinater

cow pollinater New Member

Psyllium seed husk... Fiber. Also try Relive fiber mix :thumbsup: It's the crap your way to a healthier you diet plan.
    I'm 5'9 175 and not much fat as I walk about fifteen miles a day at work but my wife got me to try the fiber stuff that she has to take to clean all the medicines out of her system... I was impressed :shock: I've been told that I'm full of it but now I believe it. I lost about five pounds in a week and I really didn't think I had any to loose.

10. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It's actually not good. The only good thing about it is cutting out the refined carbs, like white bread, sugar, etc. But where it get's unhealthy is in cutting out all carbs.

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I am a firm believer of the Adkins diet. Works and eating whole meats, cheese, seasoned with butter to cook the meats, any seasoning that excluded sugar that means all the aromatic herbs are in--if one can consider that dieting I am for it lost 90 pounds, and waist went from 46 to 34 in under 2 years. concept is simple sugar free carbohydrate free causes body to use fat reserves to engerize all functions of body instead of the " quickl " sugars you eat. Additionally protiens ( meat, cheese, eggs ) takes alot longer for the body to process--causing even more fat to be taken out of storage ( Beer Belly , or if ladies thunder thighs ) merely to power up the body.need to drink alot of fluids ( NON ALCOHOLIC FLUID IDDEE ). I used flavored water and coffee I never put anything in coffee but coffee. My weight currently fluctates between 210 and 230 depending on holiday consumption. Best--if you fall off the wagon and eat like a cow--all you have to do is remember where the wagon is going and get back on--you will gain weight for about 1 week a couple of pounds, then--off they come. :yahoo: