diggin tators

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by G3farms, Oct 25, 2009.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Been diggin tators today, out of four rows (some not full rows since we had dug some of them already) we got 8 five gallon buckets of nice spuds, one more row to go. Not too bad for planting about 60 pounds of potatos.

Tried 10 pounds of the yellow varity this year, yukon gold, and they made the best looking tator you could ask for.
    The other fifty pounds were potomacs and did very well also but there were several hills, 6 or 7 that were totally rotten.
    We were still pleased with our out come. With all of the rain we had this year the weed really took the garden over and the johnson grass is everywhere this year. Some of the potatos had johnson grass roots growing right through them.

G3

2. Charles

Charles New Member

Sounds good, we never tried planting potatoes but "the boss" already told me we will be next year ;-)

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

We tried them for the first time this year in our small garden. I clearly didn't know what to expect and got 10 pounds of seed potatoes. All of our neighbors were well supplied with potatoes. :Dancing:

Since my better half plants and tends the gardens, I have been told that next year we will only plant half as many.
    But they did taste very good! :thumbsup:

Walt

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

My grand dad always called potatoes "old standbys", guess he must have eaten quite a few of them in hard times, especially with eight kids of his own.

I love them fried with onions, that is one of my very favorites.

G3

5. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i love fresh dug taters! Back home I never had a problem growing enough to keep us all year. Here in NC for some reason I can't seem to grow ANY at all.... wish I could figure it out, i could almost eat my weight in taters. My boys will eat them at every meal if I let them.

I'm glad to hear the yukon golds come out well, I was wondering how they did in a home garden

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

All in all I guess we got about 260 pounds out of 60 pounds of seed, I thought it was a good harvest. Even turned the garden over with the plow and could have gotten another 15 to 20 pounds but I messed then up.

G3

7. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Ugh I am sooo jealous! My brothers and I really could eat potatoes every day, or at least for a weak or two.We've tried to grow them in our garden several different ways and none of them produced what we hoped for. Is there a secret or something?
    Our neighbor can grow taters just fine. In fact he had too many and let me and my brothers go dig up as much as we would eat!

:dontknow:

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Pick seed that have plenty of eyes (grocery store potatoes make a poor choice since they were sprayed with something to keep them from sprouting). The seed need to have at least 3 to 6 good eyes, sometime that means planting the whole potato.

Cut the seed into pieces a couple of days before you plan to plant them and let the cuts scab over or heal, some even dip them into clorox.

Plant with the eyes up and cover, I plant mine in a deep furrow, that way I can keep pulling dirt up on them. Fertilize between the seed, you don't want the seed to contact the fertilizer, it will burn it. Easy on the nitrogen part of the fertilizer, all you will get is vines and no spuds.

When the vines start to emerge keep pulling dirt to them an cover them over an inch or so. It helps to have good loose soil so the potatoes can push it out of the way as they grow.

Keep pulling the dirt to them, even when the vines are knee high.

I like to spray with liquid seven to get the beetles and eggs on the bottom side of the leaves. I used something different this year with good success, can't remember what it was at the moment and it is raining, will look later.

after the blooms have dropped you can get "new potatoes" just little babies, after the vines have all died off you can dig at any timeup until frost.

G3

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The only thing to growing in a barrel (or plastic bags, tires, anything round) is that you must water and feed nutrients constantly.

I forgot to say some people plant them in a deep trench lined with straw and then cover with straw and dirt, then when it comes time to dig all you need to do is pull the straw back and you will have clean poatoes.

G3

11. XLB

XLB New Member

we tried growing them in a box once, but at the end all we got was a box full of dirt and ants. maybe I'll try again and see if it works any better with the helpful advice from G3.

12. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

i haven't tried a barrel, but I'm likely to give it a shot. We tried boxes, in straw, in trenches, with bought seed, with taters around the house that sprouted and all sorts of other stuff. The most we ever got was a small bowl of finger sized taters. I'm thinking maybe too much nitrogen now that you say to watch the fertilizer. The plants don't really bloom either, one or two blooms and then the plants die off. :dontknow:

13. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Never grew tators. May try this coming year. Always wanted to see If I could grow peanuts also.

14. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We've thought of growing peanuts, but haven't tried yet.I'm afraid they would rebel like the taters. :|

15. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Grow peanuts very much like potatoes, pull the dirt to them. Only grew them once, they were some kind of giant spanish peanut my moms uncle gave me. They did great but the field mice got to all of my saved seed so that was the ind of it. they were as big as the end of your thumb.

G3

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

:doh: why didn't i think of planting peanuts???!!! Oh kids....guess what we need more garden space for now.. :Dancing:

17. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I can't wait for that period of time when the kids will help in the garden. What should I expect....2 years max? One year if I'm lucky?... :Dancing:

Right now, they are too small. (6-4-4) They do help, but it's not like I can say "Go weed that bed"... :lol:

18. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My guess would be about 31 years. Until then, it will take 3 hours work on your part to get 1 hour work from one of them. :roll:

19. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

LOL, iddee's right! Actually our kids do pretty good in the garden and with the other chores too. We started out when they were really little with a very specific area and job to do and a plain old kitchen timer.... "you weed this spot right here, this is what the weeds are and don't pick this plant or any that look like it. work for 20 minutes then we can do something else for awhile". When they were all 3 under 8 years old on hot evenings we would set the sprinkler out over the garden and they would weed so they had an excuse to play in the sprinkler.

My brother told his kids that some of the plants would grow money if they pulled ALL the weeds and that if the plants grew money the kids could have it all. Those kids pulled every weed they could see so he paid 'em a buck a piece... my 6 year old nephew called to tell me how rich he got pulling his daddy's weeds.

6 & 4 are great ages to start kids in the gardens! When Baby Beek was 4 she loved to grow her own lettuces and radishes so much that she voluntarily weeded them. Now she does more work in the gardens than I do most days. The boys took the notion that garden work was okay long about the time their appetites hit super size.

I guess since it's something our family has always done together the kids look forward to it, for us it's not drudgery... we are usually out there singing our lungs out or having some sort of ridiculous contest, and on the hot days we time ourselves and come inside to drink slushies as soon as we're done....and since it's hot and for a short time that means twice a day....we love slushies.

20. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Oh yes!!!!!!! gardening and slushies are the only things I like about summer in NC.Other than that it's hot and muggy and I can't stand it.Although, fall gardening is my favorite since you can grow spinach,lettuce, kale, radishes, and all of my favorite things to grow.
    Mr G3, I would probably go ahead and let your kids garden but only where you say, when you say, while you're there.If you do let them, try to make sure you teach them that it's fun, not work, then they'll enjoy it soooo much that when they're older you'll have to tell them to stop or else they'll overwhelm themselves!! :D Mom had to do that to me before :oops: