Dirty Landing Board/Lousy Queen - Nosema?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by onehorse, Jul 20, 2010.

1. onehorse

onehorse New Member

I'm still not an expert on bee dieases yet, but I have one hive now that has a lot of yellow "stuff" (need to check what) on the landing board (they are on screened BBs) but I don't notice a ton under the hive though and the queen isn't doing well, she is laying half decent, but the frame looks like it has chicken poxs from the drone being layed here and there. Was getting ready to get a new queen for it, until I saw the "stuff" on the landing, now need to go check the "stuff" again and check the book, but is this Nosema or a bad queen that isn't keeping after her workforce?

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

My guess is nosema. Treat with Fumagilin-B.

3. onehorse

onehorse New Member

The yellow stuff on the landing board looks like propolis? Does nosema have a smell to it?

4. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Can you post a pic I get some yellow travel stains on my landing board. I have only had one hive with nosema and dont remember it smelling. What does the top bars on your hive look like. The hive I had that got nosema made a mess out of the top bars on the frame

5. beehandler

beehandler New Member

if your hive has a "chicken pox " look to it, as in scattered brood pattern, check for sunken cappings,it may well be european foulbrood

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

may we assume the population of the hive is weak????

if yes then a whole host of problems would be possible. if the hive was here I would first assume a small hive beetles and/or wax moth infestation. pollen (in the frames) seems to be highly attractive to both.

a failing queen would also seem like a good guess.

7. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Hive isn't as strong as some of the others, but isn't exactly weak either, but the queen is laying drone everywhere, instead of in the nice clusters on the outside edges of the frames (the capped drone are the chicken poxs). But, I think I know what is going on with the landing board, I pulled a bad box off this hive the other day, big gap between that box and the box below and they were using it as an entrance. The mess on the BB is only on that side and there is also some on the lower box also. It doesn't look like diarrhea, much too yellow. Going to go check it out in a minute and requeen it as long as nothing else looks amiss.

8. onehorse

onehorse New Member

Hive looked and smelled healthy, just a very bad queen. You could tell which frame she layed first, second, third, as the amount of drone increased. Finally found her, wandering on the inner cover, after searching boxes for an hour plus, and did a paper combine with a nuc and queen. Who ever thought searching for queens was a fun pasttime should be shot, searched for 3 queens in as many days, getting a little old. Two were my fault, let the hive swarm and then did a quick and dirty split that wound up queenless, but still.

9. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

This is a hive with Nosma. Yes it stinks just like bee crap.

[​IMG]

I believe what you have isa failing queen so you get the drones scattered about. I also thoink the yellow stuff is pollen and some the girls drop. Our girls are bring in the yellow pollen by the truck load the last couple of weeks

:mrgreen: Al