Distance from trapout location.....

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Barry Tolson, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Just committed to do my first trap-out...for a customer 1.8 miles from my bee yard. Am I too close to bring home the trapped out bee's? My concern is that they might decide to fly back to the trap-out spot. I have a friend about 7 miles away and I can take them there...but don't want to drive, if I don't have to.
    What say the masses? Am I too close to bring them home?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I would think you'd be OK.
    When you get them set up at your place, just place some branches or grass over the entrance, causing them to find their way through when they first come out. They will realize something is different and reorient themselves to their new location.
    Good luck with the trap-out. Don't forget the most important thing when doing a trap-out...........................take pictures and post them here! :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

3. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

Thanks PB! Yep...I definitely plan on getting pictures.
    Had another thought. When you all are placing a frame with brood and eggs in the catch box...are you brushing off all the bee's first...or just taking attached bee's along to the catch box, as well?

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I have always brushed off the bees but now that I think about it, I don't know why I bothered. As long as you have enough bees at the trap-out to keep the brood covered you should be fine.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I just shake off the majority and what clings on goes to the trap. It really doesn't matter. Either way will work.

6. cstephen

cstephen New Member

I wish PerryBee had told me about the branches trick. I just did a trap out 1/2 mile away. Out of 10-12000 bees I trapped, about 600 went back to the trap after I brought them home. Idee advised me to give them another box and bring them back and continue until the number returning was negligible. I did and got about 300 the next day, then 150, 75, and tonight 40-50 (after two days in the tree).

Anyway, it can be done. I'm a lot closer to the site than you.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good of you to pick up the stragglers :thumbsup: