Distance to water

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Dakine, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Dakine

Dakine New Member

Aloha,
    How far will bees fly for water. I have a hive in my garage and from what I can see the closes water is a at least a 1/2 mile or so. I'm just getting started with my first hive. Should I put a water source closer?
    Is it best to use non clorinated water? I do have a good reverse osmosis filter.
    Salamat po
    Dakine guy!

2. hankdog1

hankdog1 New Member

Should be fine as long as you don't have a neighbor with a pool. They seem to love chlorine.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

the more refined the water source the less attractive the water is to the bees.... I myself suspect by eliminating contaminants the smell is also remove.

I like to have (actively look for when checking out a new apiary site) water a bit closer than 1/2 mile. Last year's heat and lack of rainfall reinforce the importance of this simple requirement.

4. JPthebeeman

JPthebeeman New Member

Leaky faucets make great watering holes. Just be careful when you turn the knob! :wink:

...JP

5. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

I'm not in a dry area but my bees seemed to prefer horse urine. Depending on your neighbours you may get some earache. :grin:

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

7. pturley

pturley New Member

A friend of mine uses plastic entrance feeders full of water. His bees use it continuously even though there is a ditch with cat-tails in it less than 100 yards from his hives.

I will be using these this summer as well.

8. Dakine

Dakine New Member

OOPS I forgot I have neighbor with a pool 1/4 mile or so away. I do have a drip feeder for my chickens a lot closer, like 100 feet, the bees don't even use it for some reason.

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

that's cause they are going to the neighbors pool.....:grin:

10. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

some smells especially perfume type stuff added to pools and hot tubs may add to this attractions. add a bit of lemon grass oil at the chicken drip waterer and see if 'the girls' suddenly find it attractive?