DIY Testing for Nosema

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Crofter, Sep 5, 2011.

1. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Has anyone here done microscope testing for nosema?

I picked up a used microscope and going to give a go at seeing if we can be able to do our own tests for it. We had no signs of disease but had a few unexplained supercedures and one hive that perhaps superceded a few times and would like to have something a bit more scientific than head scratching. :roll:

Is it really that much of a leap from being a pipefitter to being a microbiologist? :lol: Thoughts?

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I didn't know you was a pipefitter Crofter? My father was a pipefitter (occasional a plumber when things got bad) and consequently I did my share of the same type of work when I wasn't in school. At those time when I became unemployed the knowhow certain came in handy.

I have a microscope here and have wanted to use it in the same fashion. I am told it doesn't take much magnification. Zachary Huang (Michigan State University) has a nice article, with slides and comparison pictures, in the most recent ABJ in regards to nosema. Lots of information there in regards to the comparison of nosema apis with nosema ceranea.

3. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Thanks Tec. I have been gathering information: here is one link to fairly simple procedure.

http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/varroa/2010 ... 202010.pdf

There is other information afloat on what numbers are significant. There is some discussion that the levels of the organism in the vegatative form might have to be considered as well as the spore count, so low spore count level by itself might be false sense of security.