Do be yards attract swarms

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by Yankee11, Apr 28, 2013.

1. Yankee11

Yankee11 New Member

We are having swarms show up around our bee yards. One we know came from my neighbors box.

That was 3 days ago. We got another one yesterday, put it in a hive. Didn't appear to come from our hives. Then another one today.

I am wondering if bee yards attract swarms to the area?

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I hope you're catching all of them! :D

3. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

When a swarm lands on a bush or tree, it leaves its smell there. The smell persists after the swarm is captured or moves on. New swarms can be attracted by the smell, even in future seasons. When I visit my out-apiary, I generally look at a particular tree which seems to be favoured.

The trouble is ----- the tree hangs over the river. :grin::grin:

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I can't think with my bee brain very efficiently, but I have the feeling that the conditions that serve to attract one swarm are similar to those that attract another. So what brought the first swarm to the spot is enough to bring more swarms to the same spot or close by. Another of my feelings is that, bees, as social insects, give some preference to having their hives in the proximity of others and therefore like to swarm to where there already are hives present.
    Repeat--these are my feelings with absolutely no scientific proof behind them. :roll: All other opinions are at least as valid as mine. :|