Do bees like this? And what is it?

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Gypsi, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It's a shrub in bloom in 3 yards in 2 days. I haven't seen a bee on it, but bees in Dallas-Fort Worth are pretty scarce, too many pesticides, and one yard was Dallas, 2 were Fort Worth. Going to upload a pic. It is in bloom, but before I find a shrub in my local nursery, I need to know if bees like it.

mystery_flower.jpg

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Look for bees on it at different times of the day. It's amazing how some plants will produce nectar only at certain times and then the bees will have a field day. Other hours they just dry up. The bees know this and don't waste their time looking.
    I can't say this statement applies to this particular shrub--I can't identify it from your picture--but it's a principle worth noting.

3. kebee

kebee Active Member

Why don't you just plant flowers that you know bees love and fruit trees as I am doing, I have planted a couply of blue berry and an apple tree, going to plant a few more fruit trees when I get some bad plants removed.

Kebee

4. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

that's Loropetalum!

5. Cloudia

Cloudia New Member

The bees like some more flowers such as sunflower, aster, poppies, clover, etc.