Do I have hive beetles?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rw02kr43, Jun 26, 2012.

1. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

I opened up my hive this morning to look. Cause I do that a lot. I have the top cover, then an empty brood box that I keep my bottle jar feeder in. It sits on the inner cover. Anyway, I saw a little black beetle wandering around. The bees didn't seem to care that it was there. But I did. I took it out and crushed it in every way possible. Anyway, is this something I should worry about?

thanks
    Jason

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

3. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

yep that looks like it. :-( I've only had this hive a week. First I can't find my queen and now I have a beetle. Maybe I'm not supposed to have bees.

Jason

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Chin up Jason!! Just because you did not see the queen doesn't mean she is not in there. Look for the tell tale signs of her.......eggs, larva, brood in all stages, calm bees, no queen cells, etc. I like going into my bees also but do not tear the brood nest apart every time just to look for the queen. Watching the landing board and looking in the top of the hive will tell many things, of course this takes time to learn. Comparing hives with one another will tell things also, if they are similar in age they should look about the same on the landing board....number of bees flying, bees bearding, all bees inside, etc.

Why would you say you are not supposed to have bees :confused: This spring I lost 18 out of 19 hives, back up to maybe 15 and have sold 6 nucs. Don't let a little beetle get you down!

5. rw02kr43

rw02kr43 New Member

Yeah. I only have one hive though. I found this one one of the frames last Saturday.
    [​IMG]

Still not too sure what it is. It had an egg in it.

Jason

6. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

No need to worry, I second what G3 is saying. If you bought a nuc or package its not unusual to have a SHB or two in the mix. There are plenty of ways to combat them, just search the threads. Check your frames for signs of the queen, once you see the signs all is well....

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

What is in your pic is a queen cell, or what looks like the remnants of one.