Do it for Rachel ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by klpauba, Jul 31, 2012.

1. klpauba

klpauba New Member

After keeping bees for just a few months, I'm in awe on what our creator has provided us in these little creatures. These warm-blooded insects work so hard together -- each with their own task. Any one of them is willing (it seems at times they're almost anxious) to give up their lives for the good of the whole. I can't help but think many other beeks have a similar view. I feel more closely connected with God just having them around.

I'm convinced that the rest of you are well connected too (and maybe you don't even know it). Because of this, I ask that you pray for my sweet niece, Rachel.

At a young age of 25, she fell ill 8 days ago and now lays in a bed with her heart racing at 120-150 beats per minute (much faster than normal) and a number of small blood clots in her brain. Heart problems and leukemia have been ruled out but the 20 doctors on staff haven't been able to determine what the problem is.

They've prepared us saying that even though she's young, her heart has been running like she's been jogging for 24 hours a day for 8 days and it probably won't keep it up for much longer.

Just last night she asked my brother (her dad), "Why are you dragging this out?". I'm heartbroken to think that this sweet young woman who is normally a fighter might be giving up.

Please say a short prayer for her miraculous recovery! Also pray for her young husband Gavin who, I'm sure, feels overwhelmed with emotions and with the decisions he must make.

Just to "sweeten the deal", I'll make an additional prayer to all my beekeeping friends here asking that their hives produce an overabundance of honey and that they overwinter like no year before! Whether you reply or not, I'll have you covered. :)

God bless all of you!

2. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Hopes and prayers for her recovery.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Life is so short, precious and delicate that we take it for granted. Prayers good thoughts and peace for the family sent their way.

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

Thoughts are with you

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Prayers sent. I know exactly what Gavin is feeling. I almost lost my wife in her early 20's to a severe pelvis infection thought to have been toxic shock syndrome. By the grace of God, she was given more time here. She is a fighter too but there was one point where she actually wanted to go home...It set me back a moment because she never quits.

I feel the same way you do with the bees and God. I have said from the very start of beekeeping the Bible should have written Proverbs 6:6-8 to include bees instead of the ants. If you know the verse, you know what I am talking about....

Take care friend and hope all works out well for everyone...

Dave

6. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Thanks to all ... it does me good, too, to read the responses.

I now know the verse and will mark it for future reference/sharing!

l8r

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

We will send positive thoughts to you and your family.
    Any one here is considered a part of ours!

8. kebee

kebee Active Member

My prayers go out to the Lord for Rachel, may he heal her for his glory.

kebee

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Add my name to the list.

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

A prayer just sent for Rachel. I hope she recovers soon and Gavin holds strong.

11. klpauba

klpauba New Member

We got word that Rachel is being transferred to the medical center here in Omaha, NE for treatment of a rare disorder that affects the production of white blood cells (sorry, I don't have the name yet).

She will be getting treated with some medications that will take a couple of weeks to make a difference. Please continue praying that she has the strength to go on and this treatment puts her on the road to recovery.

Thanks to all of you for all the help you've provided.

12. Zeevah

Zeevah New Member

I'm sorry to hear about the illness of your sweet niece Rachel. But, I'm happy to hear they have found a treatment to help her. Prayers for strength to her for healing and recovery. And strength for your family through this difficult time.

I completely agree with you about the bees, they make me feel closely connected too----and in awe. I'm Jewish and we have a phrase; "Tikkun Olam". I always think of that when I'm with the bees......

13. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

Prayers on the way!

14. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

May the Lady bless and heal her. (hope that's ok - loose translation - thoughts and prayers are with her.)

Gypsi

15. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Due in no small part to all of the well wishes from the forum, Rachel seems to be on a (long) road to recovery.

The doctors are testing her for the Interleukin 5 gene (IL-5). This gene is linked to the over production of eosinophils, the type of white blood cell that is being massively over produced. If the test confirm her having Hypereosinophilic Syndrome, there's a trial medication that's and antibody to IL-5.

To give a little perspective, Rachel was tested shortly after entering the hospital with a white cell count of 85,000 while a normal count is around 11,000. Over the past few days, a drug used for cancer treatment was able to reduce that to 65,000, then 40,000 and today it was down to 20,000. She should be weaned off the respirator tomorrow and we're much more optimistic that her heart will be able to hold out.

Doctors have said that this disease wouldn't be cured, but it can be managed.

Thanks to all of you for your genuine concern.

16. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

They must have good doctors in Nebraska.

17. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Prayers sent her way. We lost our 23 year old daughter-in-law and unborn grandson in April, so I know what you are going through.

18. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Thanks for the prayers, gunsmith. My condolences to you and your family, too.

19. Marbees

Marbees Member

Best wishes for Rachel, May God help her recover and enjoy life.

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I just now discovered this thread....but I join in with all the rest, offering prayers and hope. My mom passed away recently at the the age of 99 2/3, after managing a similar blood condition for many years. I wish Rachel much health and long years together with Gavin. May God grant that she surpass my mother's age, happy and healthy, with her loving and caring family.