do my bees stand a chance?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by dominica, Aug 18, 2010.

1. dominica

dominica New Member

i have a few questions -- started my first hive May 25 of this year, had some challenges but it's still running. the hive drew out 7 frames of foundation pretty quickly, so i added a second deep hive body. when i looked in the hive for the first time since adding the deep super, not only have the bees not moved up into it, they have stopped drawing out comb altogether and the bottom box still only has 7 frames! so i have a few questions...i figure this is a "weak hive" and won't make the winter, but i want to know if there's still a chance...

1. should i requeen? i have heard this can help going into the fall...
    2. should i start feeding? sugar syrup, pollen, what?
    3. i am going to move a full frame into the top box to try to draw them up, but isn't building getting ready to wind down?

4. is there any addtl advice you can give me to try to get my girls thru the winter?!?!

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would not move frames up.
    Check the 7 frames. How many are brood? How many pollen? How many honey? How many empty?
    Feed sugar water and pollen if you have pollen patties. Use internal feeder only, no external feeders this late in the year.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would for sure check for brood/eggs in the bottom box.

Not sure in your area but i would think you will need a deep and a shallow or medium to make it through the winter. Feed syrup to them and hope for a flow in the fall of the year.

When did you add the second deep? I will venture to guess middle of June.