Do the drones know?

Discussion in 'Raising Queens' started by drone1952, Mar 30, 2012.

1. drone1952

drone1952 New Member

I want you opinions.Do the drones know that in hive there is a virgine queen? :roll:

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Good question. I would think not. Since the worker bees don't tend to pay much attention to a virgin queen, I am guessing that they don't release much in the way of pheremone until after they mate.
    Just a guess.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

it is my understanding in the development of a new queen that for the first week or so after emerging the hives feeds her up heavily and then as the proper day, temperature, and time approaches the workers practically push the virgin out the front door. I would assume she has taken some orientation flight in this interval since she 'generally' knows how to find her way back home. once in flight she flies fairly low to a drone congregation area where the mating occurs. the virgins find the congregation areas and the drones know when a virgin is present in the area. since bees are very much olfactory driven I would guess both virgin and queens are driven by some kind of smell.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That is a good question!

my take on it would be that if the virgin queen emitted a pheromone while inside of the hive that the drones would be swarming the hive trying to get in. Kind of makes me think the queen goes out looking for the drones, not the drones looking for the virgin queen.

This is strictly my very own thoughts on this.