Do you belong to a state association?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 28, 2009.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Are you now, or have you ever been, a member of your state association?

I'm interested in finding out why not, or what reasons you are not interested in a state bee association. (Nothing to offer, politics, stuckup types, no time, etc.)

Thank you.

2. rast

rast New Member

No and simply a matter of lack of time to participate in their meetings. I told my wife just a few weeks ago we should join just help support them and beekeeping.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Yes, every year...And two local clubs.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I am not, mostly because our state association meets pretty far away.

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No, not enough time.

I did belong to the Tennesse Beekeepers Association at one time, and also to the Loudon County club.
    Job, marriage, kids, job, well you know how all that goes.

The county club is no more at this point, and with work slowed down I found time to get back into bees a little more. I have always had bees on the farm since about 1971.

G3

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We aren't so far, but have considered joining. I'm hesitant by nature to just sign on with any given group for several reasons. 1) I may not want to be associated with everyone on a list of folks in our state who are interested in beekeeping. 2) maybe I don't want my name or any other personal information listed for so many people I don't know to see. 3) the meetings are most usually quite a distance to travel 4) right now socializing isn't a really high priority for our family 5) time, we homeschool 3 children, try to take on as much "sidework" as we can to try and make ends meet and are EXTREMELY active with our church so time is also a major issue.

I do feel that there are probably quite a few benefits to belonging to a club, either locally or state or both such as: educational information is more readily available, more connected to other beekeepers in your area and can share equipment and information, sometimes there are discounts available for purchases or magazines and such, it's good for the kids to meet other beekeepers and socialize some of the time, we had a lot of fun the last time we were spent time in a bee club and we really learned a lot. There are a lot more things that come to mind but my mind is worn out and not spitting the info out quickly at all. :dontknow:

7. Charles

Charles New Member

Never joined here, probably will when we get moved. I'll hopefully have more time but you know how that goes...

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I attended my first state convention this year/this month after almost fifty years of beekeeping. I still haven't decided if I will join. I guess such decisions for me comes down to 1) do I have the time and $ to participate and 2) is the organization doing something positive enough for me to contribute $ and time.

I am fairly active in our somewhat local bee club which as an organization is fairly new. It is about a 50 mile jaunt down there to attend the meetings but both mizz tecumseh and I really like the folks there and their collective energy.

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

I'm a member, mostly to show support, because the meetings always seem to fall on a summer weekend when I have other plans. Nice folks, though, judging by the few meetings I have attended.

10. Walt B

Walt B New Member

No, don't belong to any. Looked at the convention itinerary for the Texas Beekeepers Association and it really didn't seem too interesting for the time and expense involved. The web site doesn't entice me to join.

Attended a few meetings of our local beekeeping club (as was suggested in every introduction to beekeeping book) and, with a couple of exceptions, most folks complained about their work, beekeeping, regulations, shipping costs, etc.

Decided I would be better off going it alone, and with help from this forum. :thumbsup:

Walt

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Walt that is how I felt with the local club, just a bunch of old men whining about everything. I was young at the time and could have really used a mentor but none seemed to be interested in a kid. Did a lot of reading and playing with my bees, even accidently killed a few hives by not knowing enough of the basics. Some lessons come with a high tuition.

G3

12. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I am a member of the NY Statewide Ass., The Empire State Honey Producers Association, and am a Board Member. Over the years I have questioned the value of the Ass., but I now support it for what it can be, which is at laest patially my responsibility.

Programs put on by local bee clubs in NY are just as good as, if not better than, what is found at the State level. We are going to try to have programs more attractive to the sideliner and hobbyist sort of beekeeper, next year.

13. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

I'd be interested in learning more about these programs.

Not currently a member of any State Association, but have considered joining. No time right now.

14. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Maybe you could suggest topics that you would like to see addressed. Programs that would attract you to a mtng in Syracuse in early November.

WNY is a big place, geographically speaking. Where do you live? Are you far enough west to be able to get to a Western NY Beekeepers Association mtng?

15. Bhodi

Bhodi New Member

I fully intended to make it to the last ESHPA meeting. I'm only about an hour west. Unfortunately, this last job went longer than planned and I didn't make it home in time. Same with the EAS meeting. I gotta pay for my hobbies somehow.

WNYHPA is an option. I'll look into attending the next meeting they have.

As far as sugguestions for topics, let me think it over and I'll get back to you.

16. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

I belong to MBA till April then will no longer belong. They just don't seem to do much for the established beekeepers.

The head bee guy at MSU is a chinese fellow now and is in china more than he is here where he earns his money. the state club doesn't seem to be trying to get him replace with some one who will work with the states beekeepers to solve problems. They did cut him off from running the web site how ever so that has gotten better.

I belong to SEMBA (south eastern michigan bee keepers association) the region club It is a good club that trys to help out every one has a bee keeping course every year for New bees at a resonable cost. Has a spring conferance for one day only that is jamed full of different classes such as cell punch queen rearing with clock board, how to make your own equp., making cream honey, Honey from the frame to the bottle, from wax to candles to other uses of wax. You can choose what ever class you want to attend and they last about an hour extra time for questions.

Belonging to SEMBA gives you member ship in 3 local clubs that are under the SEMBA umberlla.
    One seven ponds is closest to us. they have a weird system where the officers have a prvate meeting to figure out what the over all meeting is about. You as a regular member do not have a say in how the meeting is about. OH you can voice a suggestion but don't mean they will listen. I said once that I didn't like the way the meetings were ran and swas told to sit down and shut up. We do not attend those meetings any longer.
    As a SEMBA member I voted againest them getting money for a club project from the SEMBA coffers unless they shared with the other two clubs. They didn't want to share.

The oakland county club is OK but a drive for us and they only have meetings from Oct to January.
    School craft county club is also a drive about an hour to get thetre. It is also OK but due to the drive we don't attend much.

:mrgreen: Al

17. jdpro5010

jdpro5010 New Member

Yes I do belong to the OSBA. It is more a matter of it being fairly inexpensive to be a member. I have never attended a state meeting though. I am not sure there is a tremendous value in being a member but am hoping that it can help be lobbying force in the political realm with enough members and money.

18. gloriousolive

gloriousolive New Member

I belong to a beekeeping association in Yorkshire, England (Harrogate & Ripon) who have a very good hands on approach to beekeeping. There are about 400 members and they offer lots of training and support to both new and experienced bee keepers and also encourage members to take the various exams in beekeeping that the British Bee Keeping Association offer. If you want to join in with the various activities the association offer you are very welcome, but its not held against you if you don't. The other thing as well with being a member is that we are all insured against loss of our colonies through notifiable diseases. I appreciate that in England we dont have the distances to travel that American bee keepers have, but it is nice to know that you have lots of support from fellow members if you need help or advice in practical terms that a forum cannot give.