Do you have a "backup" hobby" in the Winter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bear, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

For those folks like myself who get a nice 4 or maybe even 5 months of downtime with their bees thanks to the weather in the Fall and Winter, do you have a hobby that you pick up to fill your spare time?

I get into Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 1st edition myself. I DM (run) games for my kids and the infrequent gathering of grown folks every once in a while.

What is your "backup" hobby?

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

You know Bear, this topic has kind of caught me off guard. Never really thought about it but I have few interests (family being an obvious exception) that don't revolve around beekeeping.
    I guess that might seem sad to some folks but I'm alright with it. I totally gave up on sports years ago when players refused to play a single season for more than I will earn in a lifetime. Not much else gets me wound up like bees. Gardening I suppose, if that's considered a hobby.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Feeding cows, mending fence, bush hogging, farm equipment repair, cleaning out fence rows, feeding cows, hauling hay, watching for trespassers in the hay fields, squirrel hunt, feed cows.

4. Big Bear

Big Bear New Member

Perry, I know how that goes. Heck, my whole business revolves around beekeeping and pest management (it comes back to bees at some point though).

As a small business owner, I can identify with G3 in putting in many hours taking care of business (or in my case, "beesniz") at the same time, I have one of those brains that NEVER turns off and so I find myself compelled to find something to occupy every waking moment (and many moments I shouldn't be awake but still am.)

As for that, the Gaming thing is also a way of making a minimal bit of money as I have sold adventure modules that I have written for the game. That said, I don't do it for the extra money. (no there there is much) but just to spend some creative, fun time with my kids.

5. Walt B

Walt B Active Member

From November until April Cornell Lab of Ornithology has their "Feeder Watch" program. 2 consecutive days each week you record the number and species of birds visiting your property and report back to Cornell. They use the information to study changes in migration patterns, population changes, etc. We count on Saturday-Sunday since those are the days I'm home all day.

Also, I enjoy getting (or trying to get) close-up photos of the birds.

Other than that, shred, remodel, repair equipment...usual home/farm stuff.

Walt

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I turn writing pens on my lathe and research/read garden and now bee stuff for the next season. The lip balms are providing a little hobby and extra money maker.

7. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

For the past 5 years or so I've averaged over 1000 hours overtime at my job. And my parents moved up to the other house on the property, so I look after them somewhat. So hopefully when I retire (or hit the lottery) I can get back to making music. :guitarplayer:

8. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

I make pottery- I have three wheels and a kiln in the garage and installed a sink in there this summer. Til then I washed equipment in the hose out front but with cold weather I'd have to quit. Now I can throw pots 'til it's really cold, then glaze and fire. Trying to come up with a good design for a honey pot.

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Don't forget to post pictures, you may have a market here that is untapped! :thumbsup:

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Shooting muzzleloaders(not the new inline stuff), Still have and use centerfire but the old style front stuffers make you slow down and enjoy life much like beekeeping. Jim

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Now there's a good thought! :clapping:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Tinkering with old tractors, making soap, and most important,.............. Holding my pillow down so i doesn't take off.................

13. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i was working on a post last night about what i do sometimes in the winter months, so a 'sneak preview' :grin:......

i hand tie trout flies....
    parachute caddis dry.jpg

and i feed the birds...., errrr the critters too..... :lol:

RaccoonBirdFdrRiverJune2011_005.jpg

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I run a full service chimney sweep/video/restoration business. Naturally everyone waits until fall/winter to get their chimneys serviced.

I think I may be busier with the bees during the colder months. Building, repairing, painting equipment, and planning seem to take longer than inspectiong the hives in the spring/summer. Each brings enjoyment and it's a nice change of pace.

15. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

During the winter months I have a number of hobbies that keep me busy.

Number one on the list is shooting Bullseye pistol in two different leagues in RI and CT. Both leagues are .22 only at 50 ft. It's like bowling with bullets :) 300 20x is a perfect score. My best to date is 294 with 11x.

first 290.jpg

Flying is always an option too. The plane really likes the cool clear winter air, and once the ice gets thick enough we get to land on the ice in NH.

Attached Files:

16. JUDELT

JUDELT New Member

I work at a garden center thru Dec. then i quilt, read about bees and gardening.

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Farm work like G3 said, rebuilding older model Farmall tractors,(and keeping my brothers tractors going) A five acre truck patch for the Farmers Market along with 74 bee hives. Going to grand kids ball games (soft ball, basketball, volly ball) school plays and activities, and family get togethers. Repairing, making, and painting supers and brood boxes. Today i cut,split, and stacked a cord of wood for the workshop (one more cord to go) tomorrow were having our family Thanksgiving get together:thumbsup: and right now it's 11.23 pm, i'm going to bed. Jack

18. klpauba

klpauba New Member

Man, I'm envious! How long have you been flying, Papkeith?

19. Minz

Minz Member

Wood working, I got a couple of Morris chairs that I have on the bench from last winter. Built an apple press and made a used dining room table into a coffee table already this year. Generally I would say duck and bird hunt but I have only been out a couple of times this fall. I am having real motivational problems.

20. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I start vegetables indoors will plant seeds in another few weeks and harden them off by the end of february( to harden the plants is to condition them to be outside for planting.)
    By the end of February will have planted several white crepe myrtles and a few Orange Trees. Starting a chicken coop for 8 chickens.
    Barry