Do you have a "backup" hobby" in the Winter?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Big Bear, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

If you haven't seen this, it's definitely worth the time to take a look!

[video=youtube;lVZ8Ko-nss4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVZ8Ko-nss4[/video]

2. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Scatological Sciences Must be referring to abundant BS in this case. Not only that but high quality exotic Peruvian scat at that. some top notch work being done here.

I offer this definition of Scatology for those that don't quite get the joke.

The study of fecal excrement, as in medicine, paleontology, or biology.

It is true you cannot spell geek without EE for certain. Far more important to everyone is the fact that you cannot spell stupid without including U.

I like the Dirtgineers we have at work. That congregate at the Mines Engineering building and entertain themselves with rocks day and night.

3. Minz

Minz Member

I love that video! I got into the tech lingo with the bus. types and I got sent that about 10 times. There is another that the guy walks up to a trade show display and does the same thing. If you did not know it was all Scatology it is all so tech.

4. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Then you would understand when told your full of bovine excrement ( in this case BE instead of BS lol )

5. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

That's a really nifty chicken tractor Minz! (nifty sw tank stand too. I've got my own reef headache, and with the anemone allergy I don't think I'm going up to 100...)

Links worked for me.

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

I thought politics was out of bounds....The video sure sounds like a political talk to me. :lol:

7. Minz

Minz Member

Well gypsy feel your pain on the anemones; I was working in Malaysia and brought home 3, they were about $5 each. They were really cool and the last two were about 5 years old when we decided to tear up the carpet and put in hardwood. I sold all my rock and fish to the guy that got me started and went back to freshwater. I like it, it’s like a picture. I dump some water in once in a while, change fish when they bore me. Now I am into Africans: Pretty yellow fish that repopulate as fast as they die.
    How do you get an allergy to an anemone? I picture you petting them like a cat with all the spines stuck to you. ‘who’s the pretty anemone? You are!’ (yup I am plane nuts).
    Chicken tractor was just an on line plan from someplace. I built the extension so I did not have to weed the corn. I put up an espalier trellis and apple trees so I cannot get the tractor in there now.

8. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

That pic was taken right after I put the ash floor down, started with 4/4 ash, several trips thru the planer and a couple of trips thru the shaper. There is base boards in that room, the rest of the house has not faired out that well :lol::lol:

9. Gypsi

Minz,

I had anemones, mainly sebae and long-tentacle, from 1995 til 2001, no problem. Got bored with the reef, bought a rose bubble anemone last November and had a rash on my arm 2 days later, after putting it in the tank and maybe moving a rock or 2. Thought it was a recurrence of some poison oak I'd had a few months before. Noted the poison oak came back every time I did a water change or reached in the tank to feed the anemone (now 2, it divided) a piece of shrimp.

So I moved some rock around a month ago and started reach in with the left arm, which never had poison oak. And got a rash. I imagine I am highly allergic to jellyfish water too and I will not be visiting saltwater beaches anymore. Hadn't been to Galveston in years anyway.

Now I may build one of those chicken tractors...

10. Minz

Minz Member

I did some mods but I still have the original plans I cut and pasted into a word document. PM me (if that is on this site) I will send them to you.

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Minz, you can PM them, or you can post them in the forum, "The Rural Life" for all to see.

12. Lburou

Lburou Member

We do float down the Brazos River behind the house...Does that count as a hobby?

Last Christmas our son and his family were on the river, I really enjoy it though don't do it enough. We paddled up river a half mile, crossed onto the hill behind for a nature hike and had a great time! :)

bees 036.JPG bees 041.JPG

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well Lee if you kept on paddling south for another two hundred miles and then looked up on the east side of the river on the high bluff you would see my house.

this spot on the Brazos River is not very pretty....

if it is fun and you ain't makin' a livin' at it then it must be a hobby????

14. Gypsi

Minz,

I think you should post them in the forum. I have learned a new place on the internet today, and am chained to the computer. (www.schema.org) My web traffic is down and it is hitting the pocketbook. And it's cold outside so it's time to fix the site. But I will go and look for the plans when I can.... Thank you

(on the anemones, I paid $80 for my first one, 2nd was offspring. If they keep popping off babies they might be more profitable than bees, and certainly worth the pair of gloves I bought)

Gypsi

15. Minz

Minz Member

Well I gave it a try. I could not do the document so I saved it as a PDF. It looked like a postage stamp when I got done so hopefully you can open it and see it.

16. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Well my main late winter project is actually what got me into beekeeping as a lot of folks in Michigan do both and I am surprized I am the 1st that mentioned it here: Making Pure Maple Syrup!

Here's a video I made last year...

[video=youtube_share;QVyfjqKN1AM]http://youtu.be/QVyfjqKN1AM[/video]

Last year I tapped with only buckets...this year I'm running some tube lines.

Here's a video of us tapping the trees...

[video=youtube_share;UttyEHsYe5E]http://youtu.be/UttyEHsYe5E[/video]

I also hunt, trap, fish and I'm try my hand at making Mead...

I like to stay busy and have fun!

I also have a home garden and I plant a 3 acre food plot to attract Deer/wildlife...I'm sure there more "hobbies" but them are my main ones!

17. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

Anyone else just getting a black box for the videos or is it just my "Smart" phone? LOL

18. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

(I think it's just your phone.) My family and I recently moved to Missouri and hope to try tapping maples and making syrup one of these winters. I don't know about this one, though, it's been going by so fast that we haven't even had time to give it very much thought.

This forum is full of a variety of talented individuals and I forgot just how much I missed you all :grin: (At least, those of you that know me.) Last year was crazy and it feels like it's been forever since I've been on here. I've been trying to do a little catching up, reading and what-knot, but decided that it might be better to forget it and just jump in! So here it goes...

My hobby is making money. I like to sell stuff that I, or members of my family make. I like to stay busy and create all sorts of things. It fascinates me the amount of stuff that people buy when so many things are so easy to make instead. Plus you can personalize things, and get better quality, so I opened an etsy shop here:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LittleDixieTreasures?ref=si_shop
    Sorry it's a little bare at the moment, I need to spend some time adding our newer items. Procrastination is my weakness and worst enemy. I'm planning on putting our products of the hive on the web, too, as soon as they are available. Other than that I just spend time with my family and friends and try to have as much fun as I possibly can! I'm hoping to be able to play with tractors at some point but, hoping for it doesn't exactly make it a hobby so I guess that doesn't count. lol

19. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

I'm just geting black boxes too, Don.

20. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Been off the forum for about a week...

Our seven babies arrived this week... Our Mushkins are four days old today!

Newborn Baby Faces.JPG P1010145a.JPG
    A wonderful perfect family, Momma Fresa and Poppa Cheveyo (our grown up huskies) are doing great, too. Finally, after 35 years of being a husky parent, we have our little urban mushing team :grin:
    More pics and info at the link if you are a Siberian Husky person...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.534360723249865.124484.100000278273551&type=3