Do you have a story about your grandfather's beekeeping?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Tia, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Tia

Tia New Member

If you do, I'd sure like to hear from you. I'm putting together a "vignette" for The History Place in Morehead City. The History Place covers recent history in NC and since I have a bunch of old beekeeping equipment, I want to donate it on behalf of Crystal Coast Beekeepers, along with a notebook discussing the history of beekeeping in NC. I'd like to include some stories about beekeeping before varroa and shb and when bees were everywhere--they were so plentiful that, since I was always barefoot, I stepped on a bee every day when I was a kid! A few nice memories would round out the donation beautifully. Of course, your name will appear as author alongside the story.

Hope to hear from you! :wave:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry, my grand father didn't keep bees. He ran a livery stable. He died after a horse stepped on his big toe. :roll:

Gangrene

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

No beekeeps in this family tree either, one was a union carpenter/mule skinner (actually worked for the army as a vet, did have a tin type around somewhere that stated this) and the other was a radiator repairman/preacher.

Good luck with the project, post it up when you are done!!

G3

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like a worthwhile project. sadly and to reinforce a trend neither of my grandfathers kept bees.

5. Tia

Tia New Member

Darn! Thought surely some of you would have come from beekeeping lineage. Can't believe you got so smart in one lifetime! Iddee, you've got a story to tell about your grandpa right there! Hope someone else sees this that might have some older relatives who were beeks. By responding, I am moving this to the top so others can see it. If no further responses, I'll let it die. Thanks, you all.

6. Chickm1

Chickm1 New Member

During the depression (30's), my grandmother was told of a swarm of bees on a tree limb. Her dad had kept bees. She took my grandfather, a bushel basket and a sheet, to the swarm. They lined the basket with the sheet. My grandfather lit his pipe, and blew smoke on the swarm, and they then dumped the swarm into the basket. They folded the sheet over the bees and took them home. My grandmother had already located some Langstroth hive equipment, from another beekeeper, and traded some preserves for it. The bees were put in the box, and mostly, my grandmother took care of them. I guess this was a grandmother story.

7. Barry Tolson

Barry Tolson New Member

This is "sort of" on topic. Keep in mind my grandfather died before I was born, so I never met him nor spent time with him. Several family members and older family friends have told me about him. A couple of years ago I was talking with my mother about my bee's...now I started keeping bee's back in '83, and expressed an interest since I was a small child. I don't know how it came up, but my mother just matter-of-factly mentions that her father kept bee's. All these years of beekeeping and I just recently learned that my grandfather kept bee's. Unfortunately, my mom didn't have much of an interest in the agricultural endeavors of the family when she was a kid, so there were no stories nor details to share.

Mom has, through the years, pointed out similarities between me and her father...mannerisms, food preferences, etc. It was exciting to learn that he kept bee's...maybe another one of his "traits" that I inherited! While it would have been great to have heard some good beekeeping stories, it's still good just to know that he was a beekeeper too.

8. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, chickm1 and Barry. I can sure use both your stories. And as to others who might see this, please send your stories in!

9. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

My lineage is too mixed up to keep up with but, as far as I know there haven't been any beekeeps in our family. However, my Great Grandma use to rob a bee tree every spring. Momma said she usually used the honey to replace sugar in her homemade jellies and wines.

10. Tia

Tia New Member

Love it! Thanks, Wally's Baby Beek!

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

He wasn't my grandfather, but he was a grandfather. A Mr. Lassiter here in Randleman kept 8 to 15 hives for over 50 years. He was stung 3 times. Each time he layed in a coma for days. He still had bees when he died of natural causes post 80 years old.

12. Tia

Tia New Member

Iddee! Great story. That gentleman really did love bees, didn't he? 3 stings in 50 years. . .amazing. But then again I guess you're pretty careful if you have a reaction like his. But then yet again, sometimes you can be as careful as careful and be, and one of those girls will just decide you need to be stung!

13. Dick

Dick New Member

My grandfather kept bees for over 50 years. Never more that 4-5 hives. The only time that I ever saw him wear a veil was when robbing. He passed in 1989 and I took up bee keeping then. He was only 94 y/o. He gave me a jar of sourwood years before he passed, I put it up until 6-7 years ago. The jar was dated 1960. Some of the best sourwood that I have ever eaten.

14. Tia

Tia New Member

Thanks, Dick. This is going to be a great presentation to The History Place.