Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone worked with a plastic extractor? I am considering purchasing one as the stainless steel extractors are quite an investment. Would anyone recommend buying a plastic extractor? or is it a big waste of time and $$$? Thank you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought an old used stainless steel two frame tangetal (-1sp?) and other than needing a new gate and maybe replace the wood on the handle in a few years it is in great shape, after cleaning it up really good.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
check with north east kansas beekeepers association they have a list of people who will extract for you then save your money and look for a used stainless extractor you will be glad you did

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't own an extractor. I've connected with other beeks and borrow an extractor when I need one. I've used the 2-frame plastic extractor, and while it's "adequate", it's not something I'd want to spend money on. The plastic was already becoming brittle and I had to be extra gentle with it so it didn't crack. I didn't borrow it a second time.

G

·
I too have used a plastic one and was thoroughly unimpressed with it. Like Will Smith in Men in Black when handed the "noisy cricket", I feel like I'm gunna break this thing, :)

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
cecil sweeney in spring hill kansas has an extractor you can rent for $25.00 for the weekend

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all your responses.
Riverrat: I talked to Cecil at the NEKBA meeting Monday night. He told me $25 a day or if you rented an extractor on Friday it wouldn't need to be returned until Monday. Sounds like there is money in renting out extractors.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
did you try micheal sinclair of the nekba he has a list of people willing to help extract he is in the atchison area he can be found lurking on another bee forum as jethro.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
MAXANT said:
Do it right, do it once, buy a Maxant! :D ;)
A true salesman at work. All you need now is a trust me at the end :lol: :D But I must say maxant does make a good product even though I do got a Dadant ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts