Do you or don't you?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by PerryBee, May 28, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I was going through some of my hives today and something kinda struck me.
    Some of my hives seem to have bees that don't put things where they should!
    If you think of what we would consider what a brood chamber should look like, with frames in certain sequential order, some of these were anything but!
    Frames with pollen on one side and nectar on the other but not where I would figure they should be. Some frames I wanted to turn around so there was more open comb for the queen to lay in, etc. etc.
    It was hard to fight the temptation to configure the frames the way I thought they should be.
    Any of you find the same sort of thing?
    Do you leave everything alone no matter what you find or do you actively manage your hives (ie: switching frames and altering brood nests)?

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

sometimes I will open up a brood nest, just make sure there are PLENTY of bees in the hive to cover all of the brood frames.

3. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

We do have a couple of hives that do that. I only rearrange them if it seems to hinder the function of the hive. I've noticed that sometimes they put a frame of pollen or honey in the middle of the brood chamber, usually in the spring and fall, to make work a little easier on the nurse bees. Then sometimes they will have a hive FULL of bees with only 2 frames of brood because they "blocked" the queen in between 2 food frames and she won't lay outside of them. That's when I'll move them.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

""Then sometimes they will have a hive FULL of bees with only 2 frames of brood because they "blocked" the queen in between 2 food frames and she won't lay outside of them. That's when I'll move them.""

Ditto... The queen sees a frame of pollen as a wall and will not cross it. I move all non-brood frames to the outside.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

what Iddee and Wally Baby Beek said...

I would also suggest:
    1) failure to 'open up the brood nest' by removing impediments to the brood nest expansion horizontally also highly encourages a brood nest to 'funnel' up thru the middle of the stack of boxes. often time I have noticed the outside frame(s) as being totally unused and brood frames that go right up to the hive cover.

2) a hive left in this manner will by mid to late summer almost certainly be a casualty of wax moth and small hive beetles once the brood nest moves upward.

6. Tia

Tia New Member

There is a bunch of invaluable information in this thread! Thanks, all you knowledgeable beeks, for sharing your knowledge with us underlings!