Do you think

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by rast, Sep 19, 2009.

1. rast

rast New Member

that bees can get used to being fed and will not forage as hard and far for nectar? I know that they are supposed to ignore the syrup if nectar is avalable. My musing is that the house bees may get use to just going up and getting syrup and not forage as well when they become workers. Syrup is not as good for them as nectar, but we are supposed to be smarter than they are and we still stop at McDonalds (example only, but I do like their french fries). Just a muse as I said while going through 3/4 gal. a week of syrup per hive and looking at the plethoria of wild flowers in bloom here finally.

2. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

I think what you said is true to some degree.... ;)

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

In my opinion, if the flowers are producing nectar, you can't provide your bees w/ an equal amount of syrup. There are just too many flowers producing a small amount of nectar each which would add up to a really large amount of nectar in total.

We had a really beautiful goldenrod bloom, but not much goldenrod honey in the hives. So, all I can figure is that they didn't produce any nectar this year. Which doesn't make much sense, since we had 6 inches of rain in July. Which should have translated into an August nectar flow. No? Apparently not. The bees are and were in good health and strength.